Trivia for Wonder
Showing all 36 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Adaptation of the novel of the same name.
- Third film in which Julia Roberts' character works in the creative arts;, the first being a photographer in Stepmom, the seconds as an art history professor in Mona Lisa Smile. .
- The second film in which Julia Roberts plays a character named Isabel. The first being Stepmom (1998).
- The second film adaptation of a novel in which it is narrated from the perspective of a child played by Jacob Tremblay, the first being Room (2015).
- Paul King was originally going to direct, but he dropped out in order to work on Paddington 2 (2017).
- The first time that Julia Roberts has worked with Owen Wilson.
- Special Make-up Effects Designer and Artist Arjen Tuiten hopes that the make-up that he created does justice for the original book.
- Auggie loves Star Wars. Jacob Tremblay is a huge fan of Star Wars in real-life.
- The second film based off a novel to be directed by Stephen Chbosky. The first was The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012).
- Based on the best selling novel Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
- Wonder (the novel) is a best selling book
- Auggie's facial disease is called mandibulofacial dystosis, also known as "Treacher Collins syndrome".
- Jacob Tremblay and his family went to the Children's Craniofacial Association retreat, where he got to meet and befriend children with Treacher Collins syndrome, the same syndrome that Auggie has.
- Siblings Jacob Tremblay and Emma Tremblay are featured in this movie, as well as their father, Jason Tremblay.
- Daveed Diggs steps off from the stage (Hamilton) playing Thomas Jefferson and Laffayette and lands into the movie screen as Augie Pulman's teacher.
- Before this movie, Daveed Diggs played two characters in Americas top play, Hamilton, singing and rapping, and actually reaching the record for fastest rapping on Broadway stage.
- A film installment based on a young adult book franchise has been released in November every year since 2008. The Twilight Saga was released in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. The Hunger Games series was released in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and the Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World series in 2010, and 2016. Wonder is the first film adaptation based on a children's novel in this slate.
- Julia Roberts' first family film since Mirror Mirror (2012).
- Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson are left-handed.
- Along with his sister Emma, Jacob Tremblay's real father Jason Tremblay in the movie as the camp director at the wilderness field trip.
- During the graduation scene, R.J. Palacio makes a cameo as one of the audience members. She can be seen sitting next to Jack Will's Mom (Nicole Oliver) behind the Pullmans.
- Emma and Isabella have both made appearances in the CW show supergirl
- Miranda's nickname for Auggie is "Major Tom". This is taken from the David Bowie song "Space Oddity", which is about an astronaut named Major Tom.
- R.J. Palacio got the inspiration to write the book after taking her son out for ice cream, where they saw a child with Treacher Collins Syndrome. Her son cried at the sight of this boy. This story is used in a scene from the film, where Jack Will's (Noah Jupe's) mother is reminding him why it's important to make Auggie feel welcome.
- In the scene in which Julia Roberts (Isabel) and Izabela Vidovic (Via) are at home watching a movie, the movie is The Princess Bride (1987) which stars Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya; Mandy Patinkin is featured in Wonder (2017) in the role of Mr. Tushman.
- Izabela Vidovic (Via) and Emma Tremblay (Michelle) appeared in the third season of Supergirl (2015).
- Jacob Tremblay's prosthetic make-up, designed and created by Arjen Tuiten, took an hour and half to apply. It consisted of a skull cap with prosthetic ears attached, a facial prosthetic that covered Jacob's face, and a wig to tie it all together.
- Kyle Breitkopf (Miles) and Millie Davis (Summer) appeared on Odd Squad (2014).
- Auggie (Jacob Tremblay) and Jack Will (Noah Jupe) make up by playing Minecraft.
- Julia Roberts and Mandy Patinkin worked together on Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
- The bicycle that August (Jacob Tremblay) is riding in the film is the same bicycle that Elliott is seen riding in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).
- The scene where Isabel (Julia Roberts) and Nate (Owen Wilson) are drinking wine towards the end of the movie contains a Pretty Woman homage. Julia Roberts opens a hinged gift box and laughs out loud, just as her character did in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere gives her a necklace.
- One of the first movies to feature the rebuilt World Trade Center Freedom Tower (the blue glass-looking skyscraper in the background of most of this movie's aerial shots of New York City).
- For those unfamiliar with the play "Our Town", it has certain similarities to this film as it shares vignettes of various characters at various points in their lives, including both happy times and sad. In the play, Via is in the role of a character who, during the course of the story, changes from a girl to a married woman. She dies when giving birth to her second child, but later returns to the stage to revisit a wonderful day when she was twelve years old. Her goodbye speech takes place shortly before she joins the other characters in the play who had passed away over the years. Sharing certain themes with the film, the town has similarities to the characters and their relationships in this film, including the family dog.
- Isabel's (Julia Roberts') thesis is titled "The Fourth Oder of Vision in the Illuminated Books of William Blake". Many of Blake's illustrations are of people dealing with the grotesque on a deep, emotional level, and many others are related to salvation and spiritually uplifting themes. Both are themes that tie into the character's family life. Blake is best known to movie audiences as the illustrator of the dragon in the Hannibal Lecter film Red Dragon (2002).
- Second film in which Owen Wilson's character's dog dies towards the end, the first being Marley & Me (2008).