Trivia for Wonder
Showing all 33 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- Adaptation of the novel of the same name.
- Third film in which Julia Roberts' character works in the creative arts;, the first being a photographer in Stepmom, the seconds as an art history professor in Mona Lisa Smile. .
- The second film in which Julia Roberts plays a character named Isabel, the first being Stepmom (1998).
- The second film adaptation of a novel in which it is narrated from the perspective of a child played by Jacob Tremblay, the first being Room (2015).
- Paul King was originally going to direct, but he dropped out in order to work on Paddington 2 (2017).
- The 1st time that Julia Roberts has worked with Owen Wilson.
- Special makeup effects designer and artist Arjen Tuiten hopes that the makeup that he created does justice for the original book.
- The character of Auggie loves Star Wars. Jacob Tremblay in real life is also a huge fan of Star Wars.
- The second film based off a novel to be directed by Stephen Chbosky. The first was The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012).
- Based on the best selling novel Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
- Wonder (the novel) is a best selling book
- Auggie's facial disease is called mandibulofacial dystosis, also known as "Treacher Collins syndrome."
- Jacob Tremblay and his family went to the Children's Craniofacial Association retreat, where he got to meet and befriend children with Treacher Collins syndrome, the same syndrome that Auggie has.
- Siblings Jacob Tremblay and Emma Tremblay are both featured in this movie together. Their father, Jason Tremblay, is also in the movie.
- Daveed Diggs steps off from the stage (Hamilton) playing Thomas Jefferson and Laffayette and lands into the movie screen as Augie Pulman's teacher.
- Before this movie, Daveed Diggs played two characters in Americas top play, Hamilton, singing and rapping, and actually reaching the record for fastest rapping on Broadway stage.
- A film installment based on a young adult book franchise has been released in November every year since 2008. The Twilight Saga was released in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. The Hunger Games series was released in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and the Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World series in 2010, and 2016. Wonder is the first film adaptation based on a children's novel in this slate.
- Julia Roberts's first family film since Mirror Mirror (2012).
- Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson are both left-handed.
- Along with his sister Emma, Jacob Tremblay's real father Jason Tremblay in the movie as the camp director at the wilderness field trip.
- Emma and Isabella have both made appearances in the CW show supergirl
- Miranda's nickname for Auggie is "Major Tom". This is taken from the David Bowie song "Space Oddity", which is about an astronaut named Major Tom.
- R.J. Palacio got the inspiration to write the book after taking her son out for ice cream, where they saw a child with Treacher Collins Syndrome. Her son cried at the sight of this boy. This story is used in a scene from the film, where Jack Will's mother is reminding him why it's important to make Auggie feel welcome.
- In the scene in which Julia Roberts (Isabel) and Izabela Vidovic (Via) are at home watching a movie, the movie is The Princess Bride (1987) which stars Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya; Mandy Patinkin is featured in Wonder (2017) in the role of Mr. Tushman.
- Izabela Vidovic (Via) and Emma Tremblay (Michelle) both are also in the third season of Supergirl (2015): Vidovic as the young Kara Danvers and Tremblay as Ruby, Samantha Arias' daughter.
- Jacob Tremblay's prosthetic makeup, designed and created by Arjen Tuiten, took an hour and half to apply. It consisted of a skull cap with prosthetic ears attached, a facial prosthetic that covered Jacob's face, and a wig to tie it all together.
- Kyle Breitkopf (Miles) and Millie Davis (Summer) have worked together on the PBS kids show Odd Squad (2014), as Agent O'Brian and Ms. O respectively, filmed in Canada.
- Julia Roberts and Mandy Patinkin worked together on Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
- The bicycle that August is riding in the film is the same bicycle that Elliot is seen riding in the movie E.T.
- The scene where Isabel (Julia Roberts) and Nate (Owen Wilson) are drinking wine towards the end of the movie contains a Pretty Woman homage. Julia Roberts opens a hinged gift box and laughs out loud, just as her character did in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere gives her a necklace.
- One of the first full-length feature films ever to feature the rebuilt World Trade Center Freedom Tower (the blue glass-looking skyscraper in the background of most of Wonder's aerial shots of New York).
- During the graduation scene, R.J. Palacio makes a cameo as one of the audience members. She can be seen sitting next to Jack Will's mom behind the Pullmans.
- The scene where Auggie and Jack Will make up is done through Minecraft.