The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg)
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Set your location to find movies & theaters nearby
Check back soon for more information.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
A young woman working in an umbrella shop becomes pregnant with the child of a mechanic she fell for. When he joins the military and goes off to war, she marries a wealthier young man to provide security for herself and her child.
- Catherine Deneuve
- Nino Castelnuovo
- Anne Vernon
- Marc Michel
- Ellen Farner
- Mireille Perrey
- Jean Champion
- Pierre Caden
- Jean-Pierre Dorat
- Bernard Fradet
Did You Know?
- In the beginning, a black car rolls into the garage where Guy works, and Guy is asked to assist with the car's problems. This car is actually Roland Cassard's and it can be seen two more times: when Roland visits the umbrella shop to give Ms. Emery the money for her pearl necklace, and again as the wedding car. The license plate is the same and can be seen in this latter scene and in the very first.
- In the beginning of the film, set in 1957, there is a picture in Guy's locker at work of Marilyn Monroe wearing an orange boat-neck shirt. The photograph was taken by George Barris in 1962 during her last photo shoot.
- Geneviève Emery: Guy, I love you. You smell of gasoline.
- Guy Foucher: It's just another perfume.
- Geneviève Emery: Oh, Guy, I love you. A customer - I must run. I'll see you in front of the theater at eight.
Atom User Reviews
A surprisingly effective film, touching and knowing and, like Deneuve, ageless.
Although most movies favor passion and true love, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg shows that another less demanding, more subtle kind of love has its own appeal.
Full Screen Image Viewer