Trivia for The Turning
Showing all 7 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- The film is based on the 1898 horror novella "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James.
- Joely Richardson (Darla Mandell) is the fourth member of her family to appear in an adaptation of the 1898 horror novella "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. Her grandfather Michael Redgrave played the Uncle in The Innocents (1961), her aunt Lynn Redgrave played the governess Miss Jane Cubberly in The Turn of the Screw (1974) and her uncle Corin Redgrave played the Professor in The Turn of the Screw (2009).
- This is one of two adaptations of Henry James' novella "The Turn of the Screw" that will be released in 2020. The other is the second season of Netflix's "The Haunting of Hill House" series by Mike Flanagan, which will now be called "The Haunting of Bly Manor". Both adaptations are produced by Amblin Entertainment.
- The second film in which Mackenzie Davis plays a nanny, the first being Tully.
- The film takes place in Maine in April 1994.
- This is the second movie of 2020 to receive an "F" cinemascore. The first being "the Grudge"
- The movie illustrates how Kate turned into a lunatic housed in an asylum; hence the title. This is alluded to in the beginning when the eye of an older woman reliving the attack of the previous nanny is cut into the eye of Kate, portrayed by Mackenzie Davis, suggesting that they are the same person. The flashback opens with Kurt Cobain's suicide, which occurred in 1994, chronicling young Kate. The scene depicting Kate escaping with the children is imagined, and what truly occurred was the scene shown in the succeeding flashback where the children note that Kate is crazy when she asks them if they've seen ghosts. In the last scene, Kate is horrified when she realizes that it is she who is being held in the asylum, and not her mother. When paused, the figure Kate is frightened by in the pool is simply the woman portrayed by Joely Richardson, her older self in present day. This explains the drawings on the pool wall, of Kate recollecting her horrible experience at the mansion.