Trivia for Sorry to Bother You
Showing all 24 items
Jump to: Spoilers (4)
- Most of the crazy riot scenes were shot in downtown Oakland, California.
- Over 60 scenes were shot in 28 days.
- The voice of the elevator is Rosario Dawson. As seen on The IMDb Show (2017).
- Donald Glover originally planned to play the lead role of Cassius Green, but was unable to do so due to scheduling conflicts with Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018). He recommended his Atlanta co-star LaKeith Stanfield for the role instead.
- The movie was filmed in Oakland, California during the summer of 2017 concurrently with Blindspotting (2018).
- (Cameo) Mistah F.A.B.: Bay Area rap legend Mistah F.A.B. makes a cameo as the passenger that drives by laughing at Cassius Green.
- At one point, Detroit wears a pair of earrings with the phrases BURY THE RAG and DEEP IN YOUR FACE. These are lyrics from "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" by Bob Dylan, which is a protest song about a poor African-American woman murdered by a wealthy white man. ("Bury the rag deep in your face/ Now's the time for your tears".)
- Naturally blue-eyed Armie Hammer wears a light green contact lens in one of his eyes.
- Director Michel Gondry is paid tribute in the director's name for the claymation sequence, Michel Dongry. Gondry's influence is clear in the scenes where the garage transforms into the luxury room.
- (Cameo) W. Kamau Bell: commenting on the horse statue.
- Film Geek inside joke: the short promo/explanatory movie that Steve Lift (Armie Hammer) shows Cash in his office says it's directed by "Michelle Dondry," a nod to real-life French director, Michel Gondry.
- Armie Hammer was named after his great-grandfather Armand Hammer, who, in turn, was named for the symbol of the old Socialist Labor Party (an arm and hammer).
- The foam from the champagne Diana opens disappears in the next shot
- During the bar scene, when Danny Glover's character is asked why he isn't dancing, he responds with the, "I'm too old for this shit" line made famous from his role as Roger Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon movie franchise.
- Director Boots Riley wanted to credit the claymation film within the film to Michel Gondry as a tribute to the director. Because the film was a parody he didn't legally have to clear the use of Gondry's name, but decided to reach out to him anyway to make sure he was comfortable with the homage. Gondry wanted stipulations put on the use of his name and after Riley agreed he receive a message from Gondry's agents denying him permission to use his name anyway. Riley then changed the name of the director to Michel Dongry as an insult to express his frustration with him and announced he would continue insulting him in future movies until Gondry responded.
- Boots Riley was the lead vocalist for the hip-hop group The Coup. He made the album "Sorry to Bother You" in 2012, which he then used in the movie, meaning he effectively made the soundtrack 7 years before the film.
- The beer that Cassius and Detroit bring into his room during the post-promotion montage is Lagunitas Pale Ale.
- The name of the main character, Cassius "Cash" Green, is a reference to what motivates him for much of the movie: the pursuit of wealth.
- (January 2019) Finance Director of the Year Awards (FDAwards): New Voice for Film Award to Boots Riley for "Sorry to Bother You".
- Included among the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die", edited by Steven Schneider.
- After sniffing the cocaine, Cassius is splashed by water from a nearby car, causing him to trip. This may mean that his transformation has already begun, as baby horses have weak legs.
- Another film of 2018, BlacKkKlansman (2018), also involved the main character, a black man, doing a "white voice" on the phone.
- During the scene between Cassius Green and Steve Lift in Lift's office, all the paintings hanging behind Lift's desk are reproductions of classic equestrian portraits (pictures of horses). Also, the plate that Steve presents to Cassius has a picture of a horse on it.
- The equisapiens were achieved mostly through practical effects. The suit and animatronic headpieces were designed and built by Amalgamated Dynamics (ADI), also known for building suits for Alien and Predator movies. In a 2018 Thrillist interview, Boots Riley said that although there were multiple headpieces, hair patches, and tattoos to differentiate the different equisapiens, there was actually only one suit for all of them. Puppeteers operated the headpieces, including one operator just for the eyes.