On The Basis Of Sex
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Felicity Jones
- Armie Hammer
- Justin Theroux
- Sam Waterston
- Kathy Bates
- Cailee Spaeny
- Jack Reynor
- Stephen Root
- Chris Mulkey
- Gary Werntz
Did You Know?
- Received 17 votes on 2014's Blacklist competition, which ranks the best unproduced scripts of that year.
- In the dinner scene, Erwin Griswold is seen tapping a glass full of wine. In reality, he and his wife did not drink and alcohol was never served in their house.
- [from trailer, in courtroom]
- Judge: The word 'woman' does not appear even once in the US Constitution.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Nor does the word 'freedom,' Your Honor.
Atom User Reviews
Hollywood needs to make more movies like this one.
Mandatory viewing for all! RBG is a true champion
We’re typically never trusted to accept the reality of an icon’s life for what it is rather than what media consultants want it to exemplify. What the film’s real failing amounts to is any lack of interest in Ginsburg’s true superpower: Her inhuman, sleepless drive to do the work.
The storytelling in Sex is ho-hum, but the sincerity of the undertaking — and the issues at the film’s centre — make it hard to resist, no matter what objections might be raised.
The dramatic approach here is clear, efficient and entirely on-the-nose, with little time for anything that might distract from the hagiographic effort in play. Its sole purpose is to ennoble and proclaim a hero, which its subject almost certainly is. But it makes for notably simplified drama.