Trivia for Mirai (Premiere Event)
Showing all 7 items
- The name of the sister character is Mirai, which is also the name of Mamoru Hosoda's own daughter.
- Mamoru Hosoda has said this film draws from his real children; he had no siblings, so it was a new experience for him to see the jealousy that an older child feels when a baby arrives.
- The first Japanese animated feature to have its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Makoto Tanijiri, who is an architect by trade, was brought onto the film specifically to design the family's home.
- Makoto Tanijiri designed the family house to have stairs (and different levels) as a key feature: "A child will be able to see the bottom room clearly from the garden, but an adult will only be able to see what's right in front of them. The child's view will change as he grows up."
- Mamoru Hosoda based the appearances of Mirai and Kun on his own two children and had his children model for the animators.
- The first Japanese animated film that is not a Studio Ghibli production nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.