- 2hr 5m
- 2hr 5m
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Angela Bain
- Richard Cant
- Guy Rhys
- Thom Petty
- Saoirse Ronan
- Izuka Hoyle
- Margot Robbie
- John Ramm
- Simon Russell Beale
- Abby Cassidy
Did You Know?
- At one point in 2006, Scarlett Johansson was attached to play the lead role, but dropped out, causing the project to live in development hell for several years.
- Mary Queen of Scots would not have spoken English, as lowland Scots spoke 'Scots' and Highland Scots spoke 'Scottish Gaelic'. Additionally, she would not have had a Scottish accent, as her mother, Mary of Guise, was French. Queen Mary also lived in France from the time she was five until she was eighteen. She likely spoke with a French accent.
- Mary Stuart: Do not play into their hands. Our hatred is precisely what they hope for. I know your heart has more within it than the men who counsel you.
- Queen Elizabeth I: You would do well to watch your words!
- Mary Stuart: I will not be scolded by my inferior!
- Queen Elizabeth I: Your inferior?
Atom User Reviews
Great historical drama. Felt like I was there. Mary was foolish and ELIZABETH was rightfully paranoid and very careful Great acting all characters.
What’s mysterious about this film is why, with so much on its mind and such gifted stars to express it, the drama should be so unaffecting — even when the two women finally meet, as they neglected to do in the less shapely drama of real life.
Director Rourke exhibits confidence and enthusiasm in dealing with such juicy material in the company of her two outstanding young actresses.
Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie are both superb in muted performances and, while the film’s palace intrigue gets a bit dense, the story never loses sight of its deep compassion for these characters and their shared plight of being held hostage by conniving, belittling, power-hungry men determined to usurp their authority.