Trivia for Howl's Moving Castle - Studio Ghibli Fest 2017
Showing all 19 items
Jump to: Spoilers (3)
- Mamoru Hosoda was selected to direct the film but he abruptly left the project. Hayao Miyazaki then took up the director's role.
- The license number on the first car Sofie's mother rides is 667.
- Upon seeing Spirited Away (2001), Christian Bale immediately agreed to play any role in this film. He didn't expect to get the titular role.
- Although the film was not released in the United Kingdom until 23 September 2005, director Hayao Miyazaki personally traveled to England in the summer of 2004 to give a private showing of the film to Diana Wynne Jones.
- Hayao Miyazaki and Lauren Bacall, both long-time fans of each other's work, met at a subtitled screening in New York. Reportedly, Bacall jokingly asked Miyazaki if he was married.
- Jean Simmons' last cinema film.
- In the Japanese version Chieko Baishô plays both Young and Grandma Sophie, while in the English dub it is split between Emily Mortimer as Young Sophie and Jean Simmons as Grandma Sophie.
- Sophie's city was modeled after Colmar, France.
- Josh Hutcherson who voices Markl and Jena Malone who voices Lettie also star alongside one another in the Hunger Games series of films.
- In the novel by Diane Wynne Jones, Markl's character is actually called Michael.
- In the novel the movie is based on, the black door is actually a portal to Howl's homeland, which is in Wales in our current time and dimension and also Christian Bale is from Wales.
- In the novel, Sophie actually has two sisters. The second is named Martha, who is sent to be a witch's apprentice but finds a spell to change her appearance and switch with Lettie so that she can work in the bakery instead. So when Sophie goes to see "Lettie" at the beginning of the film, it should have actually been Martha in disguise. Martha is also the character that Markl falls in love with in the book. In the film Martha is mentioned by the shop girls, saying that Howl ate Martha's heart, but not presented as Sophie's sister.
- This film is an adaptation of a novel of the same name by Welsh author Diana Wynne Jones.
- Was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the 2006 Academy Awards.
- The movie features a moment with Christian Bale's distinct growl, which he would later use in Batman Begins (2005). He was preparing for his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman during the recording.
- This is the second Ghibli movie voiced by a Batman live action actor. Christian Bale voiced Howl Pendragon, after Michael Keaton played the titular Porco Rosso.
- Sophie is established as a witch who can talk life into things in the book, while in the movie it is left up to the viewer to realize this. Some of the moments that make her powers obvious are when Sophie rescues the scarecrow and he gets deeply attached to her, as well as when her hair gives Calcifer extraordinary strength even while Howl is absent. Calcifer repeatedly singles her out, confirming that only if it is her performing the action, will he be able to live on and Howl be able accept his heart back. Sophie is able to keep Howl's heart and Calcifer alive through her inherent powers. Sophie, being a witch, also has significant power over the Witch's curse, only she doesn't know about it. In her sleep, while she is dreaming, and during deeply emotional moments, when she is upset or happy and completely in love with Howl, she turns back into her younger self, being able to undo the curse by accepting and embracing herself, giving in to her own powers.
- Symbols and metaphors are rampant in this story. The Castle is representative of Howl himself, a highly powerful yet disorganized mess, with a lot of baggage. The black gateway on the portal/dial is the way to Howl's psyche and unconscious, which he keeps himself immersed in. Calcifer, the fire, is of course the heart, quite literally. Markl could be understood as the innocent childlike part of Howl. Sophie starts by organizing things in the Castle, wins over Markl, as well as Calcifer. At the end, she is able to help Howl finally when the ring Howl gave her leads her to his innermost self, the black gateway on the dial.She visits his past, and finally is able to help him reconcile his past, his feelings(his heart) to his present state.
- In the novel, Sophie actually learns she also has magical powers and she is the one that defeats the Witch of the Waste along with her own fire demon.