Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- 2hr 17m
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Atom User Reviews
No one has posted a user review yet.
Based on 10 Critics
USER SCORE (137)
Generally favorable reviews based on 137 Reviews
It's one of the great moviegoing experiences.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind is unquestionably a great movie.
Videos & Photos
- Theatrical Re-Release Trailer for Close Encounters of the Third Kind (02:31)
- Trailer for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (01:34)
Movie Info & Cast
Director: Steven Spielberg
Producer: Clark L. Paylow, Julia Phillips, Michael Phillips
Writer: Steven Spielberg, Hal Barwood, Jerry Belson
Release Date: Dec 14, 1977
Runtime: 2hr 17m
After an accidental encounter with otherworldly vessels, an ordinary man follows a series of psychic clues to the first scheduled meeting between representatives of Earth and visitors from the cosmos.
- Richard Dreyfuss
- François Truffaut
- Teri Garr
- Melinda Dillon
- Bob Balaban
- J. Patrick McNamara
- Warren J. Kemmerling
- Roberts Blossom
- Philip Dodds
- Cary Guffey
Did You Know?
- Stuntman Craig R. Baxley was injured during the sequence where the police cars are chasing the UFOs on a mountain road. This stunt called for him to skid around a turn, go through a fence and over an embankment, but Baxley was traveling too fast, and he overshot the area where he was supposed to land. His car landed too hard and, even though he was wearing a helmet, he received head injuries. He was hospitalized for several days.
- The Huey that the "contactees" are to be flown out of the Devils Tower area on is a single engine version from the rear but a twin engine version from the front and on take off.
- Brad Neary: I don't understand these fractions.
- Roy Neary: What's one third of sixty?
- Brad Neary: That's a fraction, I don't understand them.
- [using a model train as an object lesson]
- Roy Neary: Alright, let's say that this boxcar is sixty feet long, OK?, and one third of it is across this switch here, alright... And now another train is coming... Now, how far do you have to move this boxcar so that the other train doesn't smash it? Quickly Brad, there are thousands of lives at stake... Brad any answer...
Full Screen Image Viewer