The Neverending Story
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Barret Oliver
- Gerald McRaney
- Chris Eastman
- Darryl Cooksey
- Nicholas Gilbert
- Thomas Hill
- Deep Roy
- Tilo Prückner
- Moses Gunn
- Noah Hathaway
Did You Know?
- The makeup team on the movie tried to paint Noah Hathaway green, just as Atreyu is in the book. "It wasn't believable. I looked like fungi!" Hathaway said.
- In the wide shot from 50:53 to 50:57 on the DVD where Atreyu scales the mountain to look through the telescope at the first oracle, you can see a horizontal line where the set wall (lighter blue) and ceiling (darker blue) meet. Basically, you can see that they are in a room instead of out in the desert.
- G'mork: If you come any closer, I will rip you to shreds.
- Atreyu: That's not true! You're lying.
- G'mork: Foolish boy. Don't you know anything about Fantasia? It's the world of human fantasy. Every part, every creature of it, is a piece of the dreams and hopes of mankind. Therefore, it has no boundaries.
- Atreyu: But why is Fantasia dying, then?
- G'mork: Because people have begun to lose their hopes and forget their dreams. So the Nothing grows stronger.
- Atreyu: What is the Nothing?
- G'mork: It's the emptiness that's left. It's like a despair, destroying this world. And I have been trying to help it.
- Atreyu: But why?
- G'mork: Because people who have no hopes are easy to control; and whoever has the control... has the power!
- Atreyu: Who are you, really?
- Atreyu: Who are you?
- G'mork: I am the servant of the power behind the Nothing. I was sent to kill the only one who could have stopped the Nothing. I lost him in the Swamps of Sadness. His name... was Atreyu.
- [the ground shakes again and Atreyu is knocked down. He grabs a knife shaped piece of broken stone and stands up, ready to fight]
- Atreyu: If we're about to die anyway, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me, G'mork! *I* am Atreyu!
- G'mork: I am G'mork. And you, whoever you are, can have the honor of being my last victim.
- Atreyu: I will not die easily. I am a warrior!
- G'mork: Ha! Brave warrior, then fight the Nothing.
- Atreyu: But I can't! I can't get beyond the boundaries of Fantasia!
- [G'mork laughs and Atreyu gets a little angry]
- Atreyu: What's so funny about that?
- G'mork: Fantasia has no boundaries.
Atom User Reviews
Always loved this one!
The idea of the story within a story is one of the nice touches in The NeverEnding Story. Another one is the idea of a child's faith being able to change the course of fate. Maybe not since the kids in the audience were asked to save Tinker Bell in Peter Pan has the outcome of a story been left so clearly up to a child's willingness to believe.