Trivia for The Current War: Director's Cut
Showing all 12 items
- Jake Gyllenhaal was originally cast alongside Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role, however, Gyllenhaal dropped out and Michael Shannon was brought as a replacement.
- Sienna Miller was considered for a lead role in the early stages of the project.
- This is the second time that Benedict Cumberbatch and Tuppence Middleton have worked together. Their first collaboration was in The Imitation Game (2014).
- Producer Harvey Weinstein was in the midst of supervising the film's editing process when the New York Times published the first story alleging he sexually harassed members of his staff and fellow Hollywood actresses. Long after the infamous Weinstein scandal that sparked the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, The Current War (2017) was sold to 101 Studios, and a final cut is set to premiere in October 2019.
- Premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2017 and was originally supposed to be released in U.S. theaters in November 2017 . However, after Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual misconduct and rape by several women in a detailed article published by the New York Times in October 2017, the Weinstein Co. scrapped the original release date and sold the film to Lantern Entertainment, who later sold the film's U.S. distribution rights to 101 Studios. The film would finally be shown in movie theaters in Europe in July 2019 and the U.S. in October 2019.
- Louis Ashbourne Serkis, who has a small role in this film, is the son of Andy Serkis, who played Tesla's assistant in The Prestige (2006).
- First time Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Holland working together. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019) soon followed.
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared in the Hobbit films, while Nicolas Hoult played author J.R.R. Tolkien.
- The composers for the Director's Cut (2019) of the film are Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans.
- Four of the lead actors are in major superhero films: Benedict Cumberbatch played Stephen Strange/Dr. Strange in Doctor Strange (2016), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022); Tom Holland played Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War (2016), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019); Nicholas Hoult played Hank McCoy/Beast in X-Men: First Class (2011), X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), Deadpool 2 (2018) (in an uncredited cameo) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019); and finally Michael Shannon played General Zod in Man of Steel (2013).
- The original cut was rated PG-13 by the MPAA for "some violent content and thematic elements."
- Cragside House, one of the filming locations, was the home or Lord W. G. Armstrong, 1st Baron Armstrong. It was the first house to be lit by hydro electric power, using bulbs made by Joseph Swan, the inventor. Lord Armstrong was a manufacturer of armaments.