Trivia for The Current War: Director's Cut
Showing all 17 items
- Jake Gyllenhaal was originally cast alongside Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role, however, Gyllenhaal dropped out and Michael Shannon was brought as a replacement.
- Nicholas Hoult, Michael Shannon, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Tom Holland are all in superhero movies. Nicholas Hoult plays Hank McCoy/Beast in X-Men: First Class, Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse. Cumberbatch plays Doctor Strange in the MCU, and Holland plays Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the MCU, while Michael Shannon plays Zod/Doomsday for the DCEU
- Sienna Miller was considered for a lead role in the early stages of the project.
- In whole, the Westinghouse-Edison thing is quite redundent, when, considering Nikola Tesla's role in the history of electricity and his contribution to our current technological advancements.
- Tom Holland and Benedict Cummberbatch will both star in Avengers: Infinity War (2018) as Spiderman (Tom Holland) and Doctor Strange (Benedict Cummberbatch)
- This is the second time that Benedict Cumberbatch and Tuppence Middleton have worked together. Their first collaboration was in The Imitation Game (2014).
- Producer Harvey Weinstein was in the midst of supervising the film's editing process when the New York Times published the first story alleging he sexually harassed members of his staff and fellow Hollywood actresses. Long after the infamous Weinstein scandal that sparked the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, The Current War (2017) was sold to 101 Studios, and a final cut is set to premiere in October 2019.
- 4 of the actors have starred in movies in the Marvel universe or DC universe.
- Premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2017 and was originally supposed to be released in U.S. theaters in November 2017 . However, after Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual misconduct and rape by several women in a detailed article published by the New York Times in October 2017, the Weinstein Co. scrapped the original release date and sold the film to Lantern Entertainment, who later sold the film's U.S. distribution rights to 101 Studios. The film would finally be shown in movie theaters in Europe in July 2019 and the U.S. in October 2019.
- Louis Ashbourne Serkis, who has a small role in this film, is the son of Andy Serkis, who played Tesla's assistant in The Prestige (2006).
- First time Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Holland working together. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019) soon followed.
- The lead characters, who are mostly American, are played by European (British) actors.
- Benedict Cumberbatch appeared in the Hobbit films, while Nicolas Hoult played author J.R.R. Tolkien.
- The composers for the Director's Cut (2019) of the film are Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans.
- Four of the lead actors are in major superhero films: Benedict Cumberbatch is Dr. Strange (Doctor Strange, Infinity War, Endgame), Tom Holland is Spider-Man (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Endgame, Far From Home), Nicholas Hoult is Beast (First Class, Days of Future Past, X-Men: Apocalypse, Deadpool 2 uncredited cameo, Dark Phoenix), Michael Shannon is General Zod (Man of Steel).
- Tom Holland and Michael Shannon have both appeared in films based on comic books
- The original cut was rated PG-13 by the MPAA for "some violent content and thematic elements."