The Apartment (1960)
- 2hr 5m
- 2hr 5m
A man tries to rise in his company by letting its executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue. More Details »
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes for:
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
Director: Billy Wilder
Producer: I.A.L. Diamond, Doane Harrison, Billy Wilder
Writer: Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond
Release Date: Jun 15, 1960
Runtime: 2hr 5m
A man tries to rise in his company by letting its executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue.
- Jack Lemmon
- Shirley MacLaine
- Fred MacMurray
- Ray Walston
- Jack Kruschen
- David Lewis
- Hope Holiday
- Joan Shawlee
- Naomi Stevens
- Johnny Seven
Did You Know?
- The studio wanted Groucho Marx for the role of Dr. Dreyfuss, but Billy Wilder said no, stating that he wanted an actor with more dramatic weight for the part.
- During the opening pan of the New York skyline with the United Nations Building in the foreground, the shot is actually a "mirror-image" of the actual scene.
- C.C. Baxter: Sorry, Mr. Sheldrake.
- J.D. Sheldrake: So what's it going to be?
- [Baxter slowly reaches into his pocket for a key and drops it on Sheldrake's desk]
- J.D. Sheldrake: Now you're being bright.
- C.C. Baxter: Thank you, sir.
- [Baxter goes back into his office, looks around, then reaches into his closet for his coat and hat. Sheldrake comes in moments l]
- J.D. Sheldrake: Say, Baxter, you gave me the wrong key.
- C.C. Baxter: No, I didn't.
- J.D. Sheldrake: But this is the key to the executive washroom.
- C.C. Baxter: That's right, Mr. Sheldrake. I won't be needing it because I'm all washed up around here.
- J.D. Sheldrake: What's gotten into you, Baxter?
- J.D. Sheldrake: What do you mean, sorry?
- C.C. Baxter: Just following doctor's orders. I've decided to become a "mensch". You know what that means? A human being.
- J.D. Sheldrake: Now, hold on, Baxter...
- C.C. Baxter: Save it. The old payola won't work anymore. Goodbye, Mr. Sheldrake.
- C.C. Baxter: You're not going to bring anybody to my apartment.
- J.D. Sheldrake: I'm not just bringing anybody; I'm bringing Miss Kubelik.
- C.C. Baxter: Especially not Miss Kubelik.
- J.D. Sheldrake: How's that again?
- C.C. Baxter: No key.
- J.D. Sheldrake: Baxter, I picked you for my team because I thought you were a very bright young man. Do you realize what you're doing? Not to me, but to yourself? Normally, it takes years to work your way up to the twenty-seventh floor. But it only takes thirty seconds to be out on the street again. You dig?
- C.C. Baxter: I dig.
Atom User Reviews
No one has posted a user review yet.
Full Screen Image Viewer