- 2hr 5m
- 2hr 5m
- Movie Details
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Sally Field
- Dolly Parton
- Shirley MacLaine
- Daryl Hannah
- Olympia Dukakis
- Julia Roberts
- Tom Skerritt
- Sam Shepard
- Dylan McDermott
- Kevin J. O'Connor
Did You Know?
- Shot in the small Louisiana town of Natchitoches. Reportedly, the filmmakers made so many demands of the locals, particularly those who volunteered to be extras, that when The Man in the Moon (1991) was shot in the same town, extras were very hard to find.
- When M'Lynn's son puts a piece of ice down the back of her shirt, we can hear it fall to the floor. In the next shot, it's still down her shirt and she's asking Shelby for help to get it out.
- Clairee: I've just been to the dedication of the new children's park.
- Truvy: Yeah, how did that go?
- Clairee: Janice Van Meter got hit with a baseball. It was fabulous.
- Truvy: Was she hurt?
- Clairee: I doubt it. She got hit in the head.
Atom User Reviews
Such a great movie. Wish the lady next to me would have not spoken the most epic lines out loud! 🤷🏼♀️
This is one of the best movies that shows the strength of both the loving relationship between family and friends. The female bond is extremely valuable and supportive in all periods of a female life and it is the lifeline that connects women to one another. Steel Magnolias truly captures friendship and a mother's love for her daughter.
No use fighting it. this laugh-getting, tear-jerking, part-affecting, part-appalling display of audience manipulation is practically critic-proof...The result can best be described as shamelessly entertaining.
The principal pleasure of the movie is in the ensemble work of the actresses, as they trade one-liners and zingers and stick together and dish the dirt. Steel Magnolias is willing to sacrifice its over-all impact for individual moments of humor, and while that leaves us without much to take home, you've got to hand it to them: The moments work.
MacLaine grabbing Dukakis by the bangs, shoving her head back with a sneering “Have your roots done,” radiates more feminine fellowship than a dozen sisterhoods of the travelling pants. Not bad for a movie that alternates the tragedy of dying young and beautiful against the comedy of growing old and bitter.
Target Exclusive Showing
Unlock this showtime with the special password.
Don't Have The Password?