- 2hr 10m
- 2hr 10m
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Vicky Krieps
- Daniel Day-Lewis
- Lesley Manville
- Sue Clark
- Joan Brown
- Harriet Leitch
- Dinah Nicholson
- Julie Duck
- Maryanne Frost
- Elli Banks
Did You Know?
- This was Daniel Day-Lewis's first film since Lincoln (2012) and the second collaboration between Paul Thomas Anderson & Daniel Day-Lewis after There Will Be Blood (2007), which gained Day-Lewis his second Academy Award for Best Lead Actor and Anderson nominations for Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Picture.
- When the countess arrives at the front door, the door knocker is heard so Cyril goes to open the door. The countess is climbing the steps and no one else is at the door to do the door knocking when Cyril opens the door.
- [first lines]
- Alma: Reynolds has made my dreams come true. And I have given him what he desires most in return.
- Dr. Robert Hardy: And what's that?
- Alma: Every piece of me.
- Dr. Robert Hardy: He's a very demanding man, isn't he? Must be quite a challenge to be with him.
- Alma: Yes. Maybe he is the most demanding man.
Atom User Reviews
It’s beautiful but not much happens.
The rhythms are unhurried, the drama pinpoint-intense, the style intimate, the wit Hitchcock-perverse.
More unconventional and downright weird on a moment-to-moment basis than it is in overall design and intent, it's a singular work played out mostly in small rooms that harks back to psychological melodramas of the 1940s/50s but hits stylistic notes entirely its own.
Writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson has crafted a period drama of startling tonal fluidity, and Daniel Day-Lewis and Vicky Krieps deliver reserved performances that slowly reveal significant depth, transcending the material’s potential plight-of-the-artist clichés to hit at something far richer and more mysterious about desire, ambition and control.