Trivia for Official Secrets
Showing all 10 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Indira Varma and Conleth Hill have previously starred together in the hit-show Game of Thrones (2011). Also, Game of Thrones (2011) star Natalie Dormer was previously cast as the lead before Keira Knightley.
- This is the second time Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes have starred alongside each other, the first being in The Duchess (2008)
- Keira Knightley and Matthews Goode appeared together in The Imitation Game (2014).
- When originally announced in 2016, both director and main actors were different. The original director was Justin Chadwick. Natalie Dormer was supposed to play the main character, Katharine Gun. Paul Bettany was Martin Bright. Martin Freeman was a composite of Peter Beaumont (played by Matthew Goode in the actual movie) and Ed Vulliamy. Harrison Ford was supposed to appear as a veteran CIA agent, and also Anthony Hopkins as a retired general.
- Nicole Mowbray is the actual Observer's young journalist who replaced some terms from the secret memo (in the movie due to the use of grammar checker). And she was contacted by the actress who played her, Hanako Footman, to provide more details about the episode.
- When Secretary of State Colin Powell learned that the information he was given for his presentation to the United Nations was false and intentionally misleading, he was so disgusted that he resigned from office. For one example the false evidence that he presented included photographs of some metal tubes. Photographic analysis showed that the tube walls were far too thin to be used as suggested and were quite ordinary.
- During the time that the U.S. was pushing for war with Iraq it was widely reported in the U.S. press that the British had experience dealing with the Iraqi informant who was providing the Americans with the intelligence they were relying on. The British affirmed that none of the information he provided to them over a period of several years had turned out to be true. After being rejected by the British, the informant began selling information direct to the Americans. Reportedly, the man had received close to $100,000 in cash over the previous few years for his reports to the British and Americans; information that provided a strong motive for generating false intelligence. After the invasion and occupation it was proven that all of his information was indeed false.
- This is not the first time that Matt Smith and Matthew Goode have appeared together on screen. In The Crown (2016) they played brothers-in-law, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Tony Armstrong-Jones (respectively), who were husbands, Queen Elizabeth II and her sister, Princess Margaret.
- The Iraqi informant that had initially been discredited by the British and who subsequently sold the information to the Americans that came to form the basis of the intelligence used to justify the invasion of Iraq, was ultimately vindicated after the invasion and occupation. Exhaustive investigations on both sides of the pond, revealed that over 90% of the information he gave and or sold had indeed been accurate and factual, leading to several "staff reassignments" and closed door apologies from his detractors.
- Yasar Gun, Katharine Gun's Kurdish husband (played by Palestinian actor Adam Bakri), was deported from the UK. She now lives with him and their young daughter in Turkey.