- 1hr 51m
- 1hr 51m
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes
Atom User Reviews
You never know how hard people have it... Love is love so love everyone!
Woooo! I only vaguely knew what the movie was about...I wasn't prepared for the wave of emotions! Beautifully done, and very REAL.
It’s a true American masterpiece and one of the best films of the decade.
It’s a masterpiece — an overused word, but not the wrong one.
Barry Jenkins' Moonlight pulls you into its introspective protagonist's world from the start and transfixes throughout as it observes, with uncommon poignancy and emotional perceptiveness, his roughly two-decade path to find a definitive answer to the question, Who am I?
Movie Info & Cast
- Mahershala Ali
- Shariff Earp
- Duan Sanderson
- Alex R. Hibbert
- Janelle Monáe
- Naomie Harris
- Jaden Piner
- Herman 'Caheei McGloun
- Kamal Ani-Bellow
- Keomi Givens
Did You Know?
- The film is based on the unproduced play "In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue" by MacArthur Fellow Tarell Alvin McCraney.
- During a majority of Little's timeline (which is supposed to be set around the 1980s or 1990s), modern day cars are shown driving around - especially when Juan drives Little around in his car.
- Juan: I've been here a long time. Out of Cuba. A lot of black folks are Cuban. You wouldn't know from being here now. I was a wild little shortie, man. Just like you. Running around with no shoes on, the moon was out. This one time, I run by this old... this old lady. I was running, howling. Kinda of a fool, boy. This old lady, she stopped me. She said...
- [imitates old lady voice]
- Juan: "Running around, catching a lot of light". "In moonlight, black boys look blue". "You're blue". "That's what I'm gonna call you: 'Blue'."
- Little: Is your name 'Blue'?
- Juan: Nah.
- Juan: At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you're going to be. Can't let nobody make that decision for you.