- 1hr 51m
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes
Atom User Reviews
You never know how hard people have it... Love is love so love everyone!
Woooo! I only vaguely knew what the movie was about...I wasn't prepared for the wave of emotions! Beautifully done, and very REAL.
It’s a true American masterpiece and one of the best films of the decade.
It’s a masterpiece — an overused word, but not the wrong one.
Barry Jenkins' Moonlight pulls you into its introspective protagonist's world from the start and transfixes throughout as it observes, with uncommon poignancy and emotional perceptiveness, his roughly two-decade path to find a definitive answer to the question, Who am I?
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Mahershala Ali
- Shariff Earp
- Duan Sanderson
- Alex R. Hibbert
- Janelle Monáe
- Naomie Harris
- Jaden Piner
- Herman 'Caheei McGloun
- Kamal Ani-Bellow
- Keomi Givens
Did You Know?
- The film is based on the unproduced play "In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue" by MacArthur Fellow Tarell Alvin McCraney.
- During a majority of Little's timeline (which is supposed to be set around the 1980s or 1990s), modern day cars are shown driving around - especially when Juan drives Little around in his car.
- [to Little]
- Juan: Let me tell you something, man. There are black people everywhere. You remember that, okay? No place you can go in the world ain't got no black people, we was the first on this planet.
- [Slight pause]
- Juan: I've been here a long time. I'm from Cuba. Lotta black folks in Cuba. You wouldn't know that from being here, though. I was a wild little shorty, man. Just like you. Running around with no shoes on, when the moon was out. This one time, I ran by this old... this old lady. I was runnin' and hollerin', and cuttin' a fool, boy. This old lady, she stopped me. She said...
- [He pauses]
- [Imitating an old lady's voice]
- Juan: "Runnin' around, catching up all that light. In moonlight, black boys look blue. You blue, that's what I'm gon' call you. 'Blue'."
- Little: So your name 'Blue'?
- Juan: Nah.
- [Another pause]
- [to Little]
- Juan: At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you gonna be. Can't let nobody make that decision for you.