Trivia for If Beale Street Could Talk
Showing all 18 items
- Principal photography started on Monday 16th October 2017.
- The film premiered at TIFF (Toronto international Film Festival) in Canada in September 2018. Toronto is also the hometown of the film's leading man Stephan James.
- The first trailer was released on August 2, 2018, which would have been the 94th birthday of novelist James Baldwin.
- This is the fourth film of 2018 to be shot in the Univisium 2.00:1 aspect ratio after Hereditary (2018), A Simple Favor (2018), and Green Book (2018).
- Features the only Best Supporting Actress Oscar nominated performance of the year in a film not nominated for Best Picture.
- The movie makes the same mistake as the book. Both claim Beale Street is in New Orleans, while in fact it is in Memphis. W.C. Handy's hometown.
- Coincidentally, Rios, as in the Actress Emily Rios, means rivers in Spanish. The female protagonist in this movies surname is rivers.
- A bomb at the box office.
- It is based on James Baldwin's novel of the same name.
- If Beale Street could speak is adapted from the novel of James Baldwin, to which the film is dedicated. This is the favorite author of the director Barry Jenkins. Published in 1974, the book has already resulted in a free film adaptation titled In the place of the heart by Robert Guédiguian in 1998. The director of Moonlight discovers If Beale Street could speak in 2009-2010 and decides in 2013 to draw a script. He moved to Europe to do it, specifically in Berlin, after being in Brussels for the writing of Moonlight.
- If Beale Street Could Talk had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2018, and was released in the United States on December 14, 2018 by Annapurna Pictures. The film received numerous accolades and nominations, including winning Best Supporting Actress for King at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, while also being nominated for Best Motion Picture - Drama and Best Screenplay, and earning nominations for Best Supporting Actress (King), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score at the 91st Academy Awards.
- Part of the filming took place at St. Nicolas Avenue, which Barry Jenkins knows well for having lived in the corner on 145th Street for a long time.
- For light, Barry Jenkins and cinematographer James Laxton looked at Roy DeCarava's work: "We wanted to translate Baldwin's language and Harlem's clean energy into visual writing and photography."
- Sound is very important to Barry Jenkins who was a student of sound engineer Richard Portman during his film studies. The latter is known to have developed with Robert Altman the "multitrack" device. The director details the work done by Onnalee Blank, the sound editing supervisor, and Mathew Waters, the mixer his re-recordings.
- Regina King won an Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.
- Regina King cried, when she accepted her Oscar.
- The name Deux Soeurs is displayed at the perfume counter where Tish works. Deux Soeurs is not a known parfumerie, but Deux Soeurs, LLC is credited as the film's copyright holder. The story also features two pairs of sisters.
- This film features Pedro Pascal and Diego Luna in supporting roles, both of whom will be the lead actors of Star Wars series on Disney+.