Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Jack Nicholson
- Karen Black
- Billy Green Bush
- Fannie Flagg
- Sally Struthers
- Marlena MacGuire
- Richard Stahl
- Lois Smith
- Helena Kallianiotes
- Toni Basil
Did You Know?
- When Dupea goes to quit his oil-rigging job, the loud whirring of machines can be heard in the background. This identical sound effect was used by George Lucas for the trash compacter scene in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977).
- Early in the movie, when in the bedroom with Rayette, Bobby's arm position is inconsistent.
- Bobby: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup of coffee and wheat toast.
- Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?
- Palm Apodaca: Hey, mac...
- Bobby: Shut up.
- [to the waitress]
- Bobby: You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?
- Waitress: I don't make the rules.
- Bobby: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce, and a cup of coffee.
- Waitress: A number two, a chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, and the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?
- Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a cheque for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
- Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
- [points at his menu]
- Waitress: No substitutions.
- Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.
- [Palm Apodaca sniggers]
- [points at a sign behind her]
- Waitress: You see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to leave! I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm!
- Bobby: You see this sign?
- [he sweeps all the glasses off the table onto the floor]
- Bobby: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?
- Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two, a plain omelette, it comes with cottage fries and rolls.
- Bobby: Yeah, I know what it comes with, but it's not what I want.
- Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind
- Bobby: Wait a minute, I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee and a side order of wheat toast.
- Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast. I'll give you an English muffin or a coffee roll.
- Bobby: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make sandwiches, don't you?
Atom User Reviews
A masterpiece of heartbreaking intensity.
What is more striking about the film is that its secondary characters are also real. The acting appears to be non-acting. . . . Karen Black is a letter-perfect Rayette, and Lois Smith, as Robert's sister, gives the most sensitive small performance in the film. (Jack) Nicholson makes it all go. He proves he is more than a character actor with many scenes, especially the confrontation with his father.