Trivia for Eli
Showing all 15 items
Jump to: Spoilers (7)
- Included in the 2015 Blacklist for top unproduced screenplays.
- On December 13th, 2018 it was announced that Netflix purchased the rights of Eli from Paramount
- When Eli is lying down in bed, he glances up at the rafters & you can clearly see that they form upside down crosses, a sign that is now associated with Satan in pop culture. However, the upside down cross is actually a sign of St. Peter, a Christian, who requested to be crucified on an upside down cross. St. Peter requested this because he believed he was not worthy to be executed in the same fashion as Jesus Christ.
- Dr. Horns house appears to be the same one used in the Netflix original series "The Haunting of Hill House"
- Tannis root was originally made up by author Ira Levin for the novel "Rosemary's Baby".
- Dr. Horn's former patients are named after characters in horror films: Perry Hobbes after Detective Hobbes in Fallen (1998), Agnes Thorne after Damien Thorn in The Omen (1976) and Lucius Woodhouse after Rosemary Woodhouse in Rosemary's Baby (1968).
- Eli "El" god, or spirit in Aramaic with the suffix "I" combine to say my god.
- Netflix acquired the distribution rights for this film from Paramount, when the studio reportedly couldn't figure out how to market the film.
- Contains several allusions to Rosemary's Baby, possibly taking place in the same universe. Firstly, Eli's mother is named Rose. Secondly, there is a reference to Tanis Root, a plant invented for Rosemary's Baby. Thirdly, Eli turns out to be the son of Satan, like the titular baby in Rosemary's Baby.
- After leaving the Motel, the Millers drive pass a rural crossroads in the middle of four fields. Legend has it that Robert Johnson made a deal with the Devil at a crossroads. This alludes to the fact that they are, in some way, dealing with the Devil.
- At the end of of the movie, when Eli stands in front of the house, the windows of the burning house form the shape of a skull.
- The clean house is the same house from Haunting of Hill House.
- A billboard early in the movie reads "Proverbs 19:9 The false witness will not go unpunished and he who tells lies shall perish" foreshadowing what will happen to the adults who lied to Eli.
- The doors to the medical wing show a pattern of upside down crosses alluding to a sign of the devil. At the end of the movie, Eli turns Dr. Horn and the nurses into human upside down crosses.
- Eli's mother's name, Rose, is an allusion to Rosemary Woodhouse, the mother in Rosemary's Baby (1968), whose child was also fathered by Satan.