Trivia for White Boy Rick
Showing all 17 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- Matthew McConaughey and Rory Cochrane previously starred together in Dazed and Confused (1993).
- The film cast includes one Oscar winner (Matthew McConaughey)and three Oscar nominees (Piper Laurie, Bruce Dern and Jennifer Jason Leigh).
- Bruce Dern and Jennifer Jason Leigh also starred in The Hateful Eight (2015).
- The film is set in Detroit, Michigan, but production and filming took place in Cleveland, Ohio.
- During the last week of principal photography in Cleveland, production was briefly halted on two separate occasions due to exchanges of gunfire in neighborhoods near the set.
- A shot of Rick Sr. and Ricky driving into their neighborhood was filmed at the intersection of St. Clair Avenue and E. 99th Street. This location is significant in regards to Cleveland-based hip hop group Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, who regularly reference it in their lyrics. The street signs for the intersection are seen in the music video for their 1995 breakthrough hit "1st of tha Month."
- On April 16, 2017, on E. 93rd Street in the Glenville neighborhood of Cleveland, Robert Godwin Sr. was shot and killed by Steve Stephens, who later posted a cellphone video of the murder to his Facebook account. Incidentally, just three days later, production took place at a location on E. 93rd Street, not far from where the shooting occurred.
- This script was a favorite on the 2015 Blacklist, an annual list of the year's most liked unproduced scripts.
- The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in September 2018.
- Matthew McConaughey and the real-life Richard Wershe Jr. were born the same year, 1969.
- Richie Merritt had apparently never heard of Matthew McConaughey and was oblivious to his A-list celebrity status when he agreed to do the film.
- Though he's never seen in the film, a Detroit Police officer, named Gil Hill, is mentioned a couple of times during the course of the events leading up to the trial. This was the same Gil Hill who would become famous as Inspector Todd, Axel Foley's boss in the Beverly Hills Cop movies. Following his retirement from the Detroit Police Department, he went into politics as a Detroit City Councilman, and later, President of the Detroit City Council. During his time as a police officer, he was involved in the "White Boy Rick" case.
- Rick, Sr. is seen watching Serpico which is a movie about a man undercover, like Rick, Jr.
- Rick Sr. Is seen watching the movie Serpico, who worked undercover. Rick Jr was an FBI informant who also worked undercover. The big difference was Officer Frank Serprico was not an "Informant". Serprico worked undercover as an NYPD officer. His extraordinary work led to the Knapp Commission, exposing widespread police corruption.
- Richie Merritt, who plays White Boy Rick, grew up in inner-city Baltimore. The actor's thick Baltimore accent is obvious at certain points in the film, despite the character being from Detroit, MI.
- On July 14, 2017, Richard Wershe Jr. was paroled from the Michigan prison system after serving 29 years. He was immediately turned over to U.S. Marshalls for transfer to Florida, to begin serving time there on a separate charge.
- Richard Wershe Jr., whom the character, White Boy Rick is based on, is currently in prison in Florida, & is scheduled to be released on Christmas Day of 2020.