Trivia for The Vanishing
Showing all 4 items
- Some of the films locations in South West Scotland are filmed at Scotlands most southerly point at the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse.
- The actual location where the mystery began was in the Flannan Islands, approximately twenty miles west of the Outer Hebrides island of Lewis, in Scotland. The small island where the lighthouse is situated is called Eilean Mor. On, or about, December 15, 1900, three lighthouse keepers stationed on Eilean Mor, Thomas Marshall, James Ducat and Donald MacArthur, mysteriously vanished without a trace, and speculation as to what became of the three men is still rife after almost 118 years.
- Four different lighthouses were used to create what is seen in the movie as a singular location: Mull of Galloway lighthouse was used for Exterior and interior cottages, lighthouse, lighthouse garden and the headland of the island. Killantrigan lighthouse was used as an interior staircase and side garden Corsewall lighthouse was used for a single interior shot and to create the cliff many of the cliff scenes. Cloch lighthouse, was used for the interior Lightroom as it no longer operational and beautifully preserved.
- Records show that on December 12th, 1900, Thomas Marshall, the second assistant keeper, wrote in the lighthouse log of "severe winds the likes of which I have never seen before in twenty years". He also noted that Principal keeper James Ducat had been "very quiet" and that the third assistant, (the Occasional) Donald MacArthur, had been crying, although MacArthur was a seasoned mariner and known as a tough brawler on the mainland. The December 13th entries stated that the storm was still raging and that all three men had been praying, despite the fact that all were experienced lighthouse keepers and were safely situated in what was a brand new lighthouse, 150 feet above sea level. Also strange is that weather records of the day had no reported storms in the area on the 12th, 13th and 14th of December that year and show the weather was calm, with storms not coming until December 17th. The final log entry at the lighthouse was made on December 15th. It simply read "Storm ended, sea calm. God is over all."