Trivia for The Sun Is Also A Star
Showing all 10 items
Jump to: Spoilers (5)
- Based on the book by New York Times bestselling author Nicola Yoon.
- Yara Shahidi was the first choice for Natasha by director Ry Russo-Young and the studio.
- Charles Melton is of half Korean and British descent in real life.
- The age difference between Yara Shahidi (born 2000) and Charles Melton (born 1991) is 9 years.
- It has some of the elements from Serendipity (2001) and near the end of both movies, the Caffe Reggio Original Cappuccino shop is also used.
- In the book Natasha's family faced deportation due to an incident with the actor father getting a DUI while the film portrays him as working at a restaurant raided by immigration.
- The lead characters Natasha and Daniel are loosely based on Nicola Yoon (the author of the book the movie is based on) and her husband who are Jamaican and Korean American respectively. Neither faced the immigration issues shown in the film.
- Nicola Yoon posted a picture on her Instagram with Yara Shahidi and an outline of a co-star before the film was fully cast and asked her followers to pick the perfect actor for Daniel. The comments overwhelmingly recommended Riverdale's Charles Melton.
- In the book the lawyer makes a mistake leading to Natasha's family being deported while in the film the lawyer tries without success to get Natasha's family's case reopened due to the immigration enforcement climate.
- The movie ends differently than the book. In the movie, Natasha runs into Daniel at the same cafe the previously visited in NYC 5 years later. In the book, Daniel and Natasha are on the same airline flight, and Daniel, who is sitting farther back in the plane, recognizes her afro. In the movie, it is implied that they rekindle their romance, if only for a day. In the book, it is implied that they have moved on with their lives which have gone in different directions.