Trivia for The Notebook
Showing all 28 items
Jump to: Spoilers (6)
- Background music for the original theatrical trailer for this film featured music from Rachel Portman's score for The Cider House Rules (1999) .
- Ryan Gosling prepared for his role by living in Charleston, South Carolina before filming began. For two months, he rowed the Ashley River every morning and built furniture during the day.
- Other actresses rumored to have been under consideration for the role of Allie included Ashley Judd, Britney Spears and Reese Witherspoon.
- Rachel McAdams auditioned for the role during another movie's premiere. She was given the script just a day in advance and beat nine other actresses for the role. The scenes used during her audition included the one of Allie's and Noah's argument at the end after Allie and her mother return from their morning drive.
- Ryan Gosling was director Nick Cassavetes' first and only choice for the role of Noah. Before Cassavetes, Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise and Justin Timberlake were also once attached to the project but backed out.
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling were both born in London, Ontario, Canada. Walt Whitman, quoted in the classroom scene ("Do I contradict myself?") and other parts of the movie, had a long friendship with 19th century London, Ontario, psychiatrist Dr. Maurice Bucke, which was depicted in the film Beautiful Dreamer (2006).
- Ryan Gosling built the kitchen table featured in the movie, in preparation for his role as Noah.
- Jessica Biel auditioned for the role of Allie.
- According to Nick Cassavetes, Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams did not get along at first and Gosling tried to have McAdams replaced.
- Ryan Gosling (Noah) and Rachel McAdams (Allie) were both born in St. Joseph's Hospital in London, Ontario.
- This is the third film adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel.
- The film rights to the novel were acquired by New Line Cinema in 1996, represented by producer Mark Johnson. Jeremy Leven was hired to write the script, which caught the attention of Steven Spielberg in 1998, who wished to film it with Tom Cruise as Noah Calhoun. Spielberg's commitment to other projects led to Jim Sheridan becoming attached to direct the following year. Filming was to start in 1999 but was pushed back over rewrites. Sheridian eventually backed out by October 2000 to work on In America (2002).
- Martin Campbell entered negotiations to direct in March 2001, before he was replaced by Nick Cassavetes a year later.
- Nick Cassavetes wanted someone unknown and "not handsome" to portray Noah; therefore, he cast Ryan Gosling in the role.
- Rachel McAdams spent time in Charleston before filming to familiarize herself with the surroundings. She also took ballet and etiquette classes and had a dialect coach to learn the southern accent.
- To improve the relationship between the leads, director Nick Cassavetes staged an intervention by bringing them into a room where they could air all the grievances they had with each other and work something out. They soon patched up their differences, enough to become a real-life couple for some time.
- Production offices for the film were set up at the old Charleston Naval Base in North Charleston.
- A whole scene telling the backstory about the notebook itself was cut out.
- The scene where Noah drives up and crashes into the gate of the Allie's summer manor was a fluke. They ruined a perfectly good gate, but they managed to get a great shot.
- The film cast includes one Oscar winner, Mark Johnson, and six Oscar nominees: Ryan Gosling, Gena Rowlands, James Garner, Joan Allen, Rachel McAdams and Sam Shepard.
- Cullen Moss and Paul Johansson also both had supporting roles on the popular TV series, One Tree Hill. (JKV)
- Rachel McAdams and James Mardsan both have appeared in films based on Marvel Comics
- Gena Rowlands, who played older Allie in the movie, is Nick Cassavetes's mother.
- The "'after 7 years' Allie and Noah" scenes were shot first, and then the crew/cast went on a Christmas break. Ryan Gosling had to lose the beard and 20 lbs he'd had as the older Noah and come back to play the young Noah. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling were rather shy and unsure around each other in the "after 7 years" scenes but were more comfortable together in the young Allie and Noah scenes.
- Ryan Gosling (Young Noah) wore brown eye contacts because James Garner (Old Noah) has brown eyes, and Gosling has blue.
- The pictures of an older Allie and Noah through the years are actually the personal photos of Gena Rowlands of her and her husband John Cassavetes with James Garner's face photo shopped in over John's face.
- The second love scene with Noah and Allie was originally longer and more explicit. It had to be edited in order for the film to keep a PG-13 rating.
- When we are first introduced to the young Allie and Noah, they are wearing the same colors worn by the older them in the beginning of the film. This was to give us a clue about who the older version of Allie and Noah were.