Goofs from The House With A Clock In Its Walls
Showing all 9 items
Jump to: Spoilers (3)
- Jonathan's last name is Barnavelt, the same as Lewis. But Jonathan is Lewis' mother's brother, and his last name should be her maiden name, not Barnavelt. The only ways they both could be named Barnavelt would be if her husband's name also just happened to be Barnavelt, or if the family used a naming convention that was extremely unusual and nonconforming by the standards of 1940s-1950s America.
- Florence tells Lewis that the Brothers Grimm wrote their Fairy Tales in the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) of Germany. In reality they wrote the tales in Kassel, which was a full day's journey from the Black Forest with the travel options of 1808.
- Florence uses the phrase "24-7", a saying that didn't come into use until the mid-1980s.
- The Backpack that Lewis is carrying while travelling and to and from school is a Yugoslav People's Army Combat standard combat backpack which was produced from 1975 until the 1990s. It was extensively used by each side during the Yugoslavian wars. It was designed around 1975 and was not available in 1955. There are several varieties. (black leather straps instead of leather colored and so on) It seems like the front shoulder pads were removed, but it is definitely a M75 combat backpack of the YPA.
- Both Lewis and his mother use the word "anyways". This incorrect, distorted pronunciation of the word "anyway" did not become widely popular until recent decades.
- In the school hallway scene where Herbie is being invited to Lewis's house, a boy with glasses and a brown striped shirt passes them by on their right side and about two seconds later, you will see the same boy passing them by on their left side.
- Jonathan and Florence are frustrated to discover the Izards have been resurrected, and wonder who could have done it. But there are no other magic users in the town, apart from Jonathan, Florence, the Izards, and Lewis. It shouldn't have been a mystery as to who did it, through deductive reasoning and only a handful of magic users present.
- The giant clock features many rotating gear wheels, none of which mesh with other rotating gear wheels, unless a falling object needs to be crushed.
- Florence and Jonathan believe Isaac's blueprint has been translated into an unknown language, until Lewis reads it using a decoder pin. However, any foreign writing (which uses a similar alphabet to English) still looks like written text, and nothing like the scrambled letters that are produced by a substitution cipher.