The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
- Trailer 4 for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (02:25)
- Trailer 3 for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (02:24)
Movie Info & Cast
- Ian McKellen
- Martin Freeman
- Richard Armitage
- Ken Stott
- Graham McTavish
- William Kircher
- James Nesbitt
- Stephen Hunter
- Dean O'Gorman
- Aidan Turner
Did You Know?
- This is not the first of Peter Jackson's pet projects where he has asked Guillermo del Toro to direct. Del Toro was also offered to helm the now troubled Halo movie, but he turned it down to direct his own pet project Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). Del Toro did accept the chance to direct this movie, but after years stuck in pre-production limbo, he left to pursue other projects.
- As Thorin addresses the group at Bilbo Baggins' dinner table, the arrangement, color, and texture of items in a plate (cookies or biscuits) changes.
- Gandalf: I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure.
Atom User Reviews
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey isn't unexpected at all, though between its lighter tone and a decade's worth of improvements in digital film techniques, there should be enough of a novelty factor to delight most fans.
There will be opportunities to see the picture in regular 24 frames per second, but I recommend going the whole hog and sampling what Jackson has come up with - a new way to watch movies and a new take on a universe that seemed to have exhausted its narrative possibilities.
A purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement...There are elements in this new film that are as spectacular as much of the Rings trilogy was, but there is much that is flat-footed and tedious as well, especially in the early going.