Trivia for Space Jam 2
Showing all 21 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- In February 2014, Warner Bros. announced a sequel, set to star professional basketball player LeBron James. Charlie Ebersol will produce through his production company, The Company, with a script by his brother, Willie Ebersol. Jon Berg will executive produce. Representatives of James denied the claim that he would be involved, but rumor has it that it may still be in development.
- In May 2014, LeBron was quoted as saying, "I've always loved Space Jam. It was one of my favorite movies growing up. If I have the opportunity, it will be great." Further rumors are that James or Kevin Durant may also star as new Monstars.
- Was originally planned around 2010 with Tim Tebow to star across the Tunes and to revolve around football instead of basketball, but those ideas fell through when Tebow's football career failed to explode as expected.
- The sequel was originally to be a spy film starring Jackie Chan, but he left the project and it evolved into Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003).
- This will be the first Looney Tunes/live-action film to not have posters designed by John Alvin.
- Justin Lin left the movie to direct both Fast & Furious 9 (2020) and Fast & Furious 10 (2021).
- Joe Pytka said that the movie is doomed and no one can outmatch Michael Jordan's performance in the first movie.
- Michael Jordan who starred from the first film said he will not be returning for a sequel and rather have someone else take over for him which is LeBron James.
- Warner Bros.' first film of traditional animation in the 2020s.
- Released on Space Jam (1996)'s 25th Anniversary.
- The first full length Looney Tunes theatrical film since Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003) released 18 years prior.
- LeBron James previously appeared alongside Danny DeVito (voice of animated character Swackhammer, leader of the Nerdlucks/Monstars) in the fully CGI Film Smallfoot (2018) released three years prior, which was also from Warner Bros.
- Filming will take place in California and will shoot within a 30 mile radius of Los Angeles.
- This is the first Looney Tunes full length theatrical film to not have June Foray voicing Granny, following her death four years prior.
- The second Warner Animation Group's live-action/animated hybrid film, after Tom and Jerry (2020).
- Production began in June 2019 during the NBA off-season.
- Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo was offered to star in the film, but he declined.
- When Space Jam 2 was first announced back in 2011, one proposed idea was that it would star Tim Tebow and revolve around football. Little more information came from this idea before it was scrapped and replaced with its current plot about LeBron James.
- NBA stars Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, and Klay Thompson will be part of the cast.
- LeBron James's second animated film after Smallfoot (2018), the latter of which also is from Warner Bros.
- Klay Thompson injured his ACL prior to filming. On June 27, 2019, TMZ leaked footage of Klay meeting up with LeBron on set in crutches, meaning that Klay was still able to do the film.