Sense and Sensibility
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Set your location to find movies & theaters nearby
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
The recipient of seven Oscar® nominations, this film version of Jane Austen's classic 1811 novel stars Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood. With her mother and sisters, Elinor struggles financially after the death of her father, who bequeathed the Dashwood estate to his oafish son by an earlier marriage. While sorting out the family's affairs, the shy, self-sacrificing Elinor secretly falls for her stepbrother-in-law, Edward Ferrars (Hugh Grant), a sensitive, well-educated bachelor who cannot court her because of his foolhardy youthful engagement to the greedy Lucy Steele (Imogen Stubbs). The grateful Dashwoods are offered a modest country home by family friends, which they accept. Once relocated, Elinor's brash, spirited sister Marianne (Kate Winslet) falls for a dashing local, John Willoughby (Greg Wise), a womanizer who nevertheless seems to share her affections. A prominent neighbor, Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman), also falls in love with Marianne, but she is oblivious to the older man's affections. Eventually, Willoughby fails Marianne, breaking her heart, until she realizes Brandon's feelings. When Edward's family disowns him, Lucy marries his brother instead, leaving him free to pursue an exultant Elinor. Thompson won the film's sole Oscar® for her screenplay adaptation of Austen's novel.~ Karl Williams, All Movie Guide
- James Fleet
- Tom Wilkinson
- Harriet Walter
- Kate Winslet
- Emma Thompson
- Gemma Jones
- Hugh Grant
- Emilie François
- Elizabeth Spriggs
- Robert Hardy
Did You Know?
- The green and beige patterned waistcoat Hugh Laurie (Mr. Palmer) wore at the London ball is the same costume worn by Benjamin Whitrow (Mr. Bennet) at Longbourn in Pride and Prejudice (1995), by Mark Foxsmith in The Regency House Party (2004), and by James McAvoy (Tom Lefroy) to Lady Gresham's ball in Becoming Jane (2007).
- When the fiddler exits the church at the wedding, the fiddle is fitted with a chin-piece, which was not used on fiddles until the twentieth century.
- Lucy: It is a very great secret. I've told nobody in the world for fear of discovery.
- Fanny: I am the soul of discretion.
- Lucy: If I dared tell...
- Fanny: I can assure you, I'm as silent as the grave.
- [Lucy whispers in Fanny's ear; Fanny's kindly disposition changes abruptly]
- [turning against Lucy, enraged and horrified]
- Fanny: Viper in my bosom!
Atom User Reviews
It's an exuberant, well- crafted film that gets the audience involved on a gut level even before the opening credits are over.
San Francisco Chronicle
Poised, delicate, powerful, hovering between poignancy and pealing laughter, it is a feast formed by skill and serendipity.
The Globe and Mail (Toronto)
Full Screen Image Viewer