Trivia for Rafiki
Showing all 7 items
- It is inspired by Ugandan Monica Arac de Nyeko's 2007 Caine Prize-winning short story "Jambula Tree".
- The film had its international premiere in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival.
- For the director, it was important to show the modernity and dynamism of Nairobi, where cultural life is growing more and more for and by the younger generation.
- The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival's (TIFF) Discovery platform in September 2018.
- Since homosexuality is illegal in Kenya, the lesbian love story was banned by the country's film classification board, but the director won a week's suspension of the ban in September of 2018 from the Kenyan high Court, so that locals could see it in theatres there for a brief period.
- The title means "friend" in the Kiswahili language and indicates the need in an intolerant society to disguise a same sex romance as a platonic friendship.
- The film was importantly co-financed by the European Union through its EU-ACP Culture Plus Programme.