Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Ian McKellen
- Laura Linney
- Milo Parker
- Hiroyuki Sanada
- Hattie Morahan
- Patrick Kennedy
- Roger Allam
- Phil Davis
- Frances de la Tour
- Charles Maddox
Did You Know?
- Sir Ian McKellen is the second actor to play both Sherlock Holmes and a Marvel character after Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; McKellen played Erik Lehnsherr, a.k.a. Magneto, in the X-Men film franchise. Benedict Cumberbatch, of Sherlock (2010), playing Doctor Strange (2016), would make Cumberbatch the third. Sir Ian McKellen has worked with fellow "Sherlock Holmes" actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Sir Christopher Lee in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies.
- The mixer tap for the kitchen sink in the scene where Roger and his mum Mrs. Munro had an argument appeared to be too new / too shiny. It didn't look like something that would be around in 1947.
- Sherlock Holmes: I've decided to write the story down; as it was, not as John made it. Get it right, before I die.
- Roger: You're not going to die.
- Sherlock Holmes: I'm 93.
- Roger: I had a great-uncle who lived to be 102.
- Sherlock Holmes: Well done. That seals my fate. What are the odds that you would know two men who would live that long?
- Roger: Well, I didn't actually know him.
- [Holmes laughs]
Atom User Reviews
Mr. Holmes may not be the biggest or boldest recent updating of Sherlock, but McKellen’s performance alone is almost reason enough to see it on the big screen.
This is a ruminative film of minor-key rewards, driven by an impeccably nuanced performance from McKellen as a solitary 93-year-old man enfeebled by age, yet still canny and even compassionate in ways that surprise and comfort him.