Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Rebecca Hall
- Daniel Dae Kim
- John Cho
- Crispin Freeman
- Erin Fitzgerald
- Victoria Grace
- Stephanie Sheh
- Kôji Yakusho
- Victor Brandt
- Michael Sinterniklaas
Did You Know?
- The name of the sister character is Mirai, which is also the name of Mamoru Hosoda's own daughter.
- Father: This is your baby sister, Kun.
- Father: Well she sure looks like she's staring to me.
- Mother: You must always be nice to her, okay?
- Kun: Okay.
- Mother: And you have to protect her no matter what.
- Kun: Yeah.
- Mother: Always.
- Kun: Sister?
- Mother: Isn't she precious?
- [gasping in amazement]
- Kun: She is.
- [pokes his finger against her delicate hand]
- Mother: You have to be gentle with her.
- [gently takes hold of the baby's hand; she opens her eyes]
- Father: She's awake. I think she's staring at you, Kun.
- Mother: Come on, her eyes can't even focus yet.
Atom User Reviews
The film’s emotional arc is much like that of a child’s temperament: capricious and stubborn, equally prone to flights of whimsy opposite episodes of over-dramatic tantrums. This isn’t a criticism per say, but it’s worth mentioning in light of how this quality of Mirai’s storytelling may frustrate some audiences even as it endears itself to others.
Hosoda has a lovely, light touch and leavens the proceedings with dry, well-observed humor.
The latest anime from Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) is a beguilingly sweet-natured little gem. The film balances spiralling flights of fancy with glinting observations on parenting and family dynamics.