Trivia for Mandy
Showing all 31 items
Jump to: Spoilers (7)
- Set in the same year as Panos Cosmatos' first film, 'Beyond the Black Rainbow'.
- One of the two 2018 films in which Andrea Riseborough plays the titular character, the other one being Nancy (2018).
- Linus Roache and Richard Brake also appeared in Batman Begins (2005) as Thomas Wayne and Joe Chill, respectively.
- The Cheddar Goblin commercial was directed by Casper Kelly, who directed the Adult Swim short Too Many Cooks (2014).
- Director's Trademark: "Panaflares," the process of aiming small LED lights into the barrel of the lens to "soften" and make the frame look "milky."
- There are several similarities between Jeremiah Sand and real-life cult leader Charles Manson. Like Sand, Manson was also a failed musician who reportedly took it very personally when his musicianship was insulted. Sand refers to his victims as "pigs," as did Manson and his followers. Psychedelic drugs were also used before acts of violence.
- The weapon forged by Red was an homage to legendary metal band Celtic Frost's logo.
- The book Mandy reads early on during the film, "Seeker of the Serpent's Kiss", is a prop, a fake book. It is actually the name of the musical composition playing during that scene and it is by the film's composer, Jóhann Jóhannsson.
- The number 44 on Red's shirt is likely a reference to Mark Twain's unfinished novel The Mysterious Stranger where a supernatural character called "No. 44" appears and uses his supernatural powers to expose the futility of mankind's existence.
- You can see Cheddar Goblin Macaroni boxes in Caruthers' trailer when Red goes to get the bow.
- The song Jeremiah Sand plays in the scene where he tries to seduce Mandy is called "Amulet of the Weeping Maze" and was actually released in real life on the music site Bandcamp, becoming a "best-seller" on the site shortly after the film came out. Also on the single is a 17-minute track in the style of an interview called "My Journey" which details Sand's life and his views on the world and God.
- The shirt 44 has two meanings. One is it's a New York Yankees Reggie Jackson shirt. Reggie is famous for hitting three straight homers during game six in 1977. The number 44 also refers to the real life serial killer David Richard Berkowitz, known also as the Son of Sam and the .44 Caliber Killer, is an American serial killer who pleaded guilty to eight separate shooting attacks that began in New York City during the summer of 1977 also known as the Summer of Sam.
- The film's opening song "Starless" by King Crimson originally appeared on their 1974 album "Red," also the name of Nicolas Cage's character.
- While the beginning of the film features the standard cast, filmmakers, and crew credits, the title card does not appear until the one hour and 15 minute mark of the film.
- The chainsaw fight had to be filmed in one night which the director Panos Cosmatos described as "a straight up living hell" to shoot.
- Red jokes that his favorite planet is Galactus, the villainous planet eater from Marvel Comics. Nicolas Cage is a noted comic fan. When he changed his name he took it from Marvel Comics hero Luke Cage and has played three separate Marvel heroes across four films.
- Actor Richard Brake (who plays The Chemist) revealed on Twitter in Dec 2018 that in an early draft of the script the caged Bengal Tiger "Lizzie" was a lizard. Brake recounted when he arrived on set director Panos Cosmatos said "Oh, by the way: Lizzie's a tiger now."
- On his protagonist performance inspiration: only just before shooting started, Cage's 14 year marriage (to Alice Kim) came to 'a sudden end' : "A shocker for me .. . didn't see it coming, and those feelings had to go somewhere, so they went into my performance." [interview, UK Guardian newspaper, 1.10.18.]
- According to co-writer Aaron Stewart-Ahn, when he and Panos Cosmatos presented Mandy (2018) at the Cannes Film Festival, Cosmatos described it as a film about the death of his parents.
- Eyes Wide Shut reference: Mandy is the name of the escort whose life Tom Cruise saves and later she saves his in the Hieros Gamos ritual scene. Panos Cosmatos credits Stanley Kubrick as an influence in his work.
- The movie is dedicated to the memory of the composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (1969-2018).
- Nicolas Cage had a screaming coach named David Sellers.
- Panos Cosmatos favorite Nic Cage movie is Vampire's Kiss (1988)
- Nicolas Cage played a Lumberjack in two of his best movies Joe (2013), Mandy (2018)
- The green glowing light that Mandy pulls out of the corpse during one of the animation sequences is a nod/homage to the glowing green orb featured in 1981's Heavy Metal.
- Towards the end of the film, Red tells the cult leader that the psychotic drowns where the mystic swims. This is a variation of a quote by mythologist, Joseph Campbell: "The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight." (Joseph Campbell, "Psychology of the Future: Lessons from Modern Consciousness Research"). Meaning, that there's a fine line between psychosis and spirituality.
- At the end of the film when Jeremiah is on his knees and begs Red Miller not to kill him, he says. "I'll suck your dick." That's a possible reference to the short story "Killing Nazis" by fellow Greek writer Nikos Kalpakis. There is a scene where a character is on his knees begging for his life and says exactly the same line.
- [September, 2018 e.v.] During a recent interview with GQ Magazine, Nicolas Cage disclosed that when Panos Cosmatos first approached him to be in the film, he wanted him to play the role of the cult leader, Jeremiah Sand, but Cage said he wanted to play Red instead. Panos told him this was a story about old age vs youth and he didn't think he was right to play Red; no agreements were able to be made. A year later, through Elijah Wood, they met again to talk about the film, and this time they explored more in detail the themes of love and the loss of love within the film and they discussed those same themes within their personal lives and by this time, everything just clicked and Panos then felt totally confident in Cage's playing Red.
- When Red is being held captive by the biker gang, his number 44 shirt gets cut / torn. He mentions, "That was my favorite shirt." Later in the movie, Red has a flashback to the first time he meets Mandy, where he is wearing the same shirt.
- Brother Swan shows Red a blade with which he will pierce his side as he's tied up and tells him, "Take a good look, you piece of human excrement! This is the tainted blade of the Pale Night, straight from the Abyssal Lair!". This is a reference to the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game; Pale Night is the Mother of Demons and an Abyssal Lord.
- Body count: 10.