Trivia for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Showing all 32 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- Will be released some time between 2017 and 2019.
- Screenwriter Linda Woolverton returned to write the sequel with Angelina Jolie reprising her title role, with Elle Fanning reprising Aurora. Joe Roth returned as the producer.
- Joachim Rønning was in talks to direct the sequel after directing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017). Production began in April 2018.
- Michelle Pfeiffer is in talks to play Queen Ingrith.
- Ed Skrein recently came on board to play the villain in the sequel to the 2014 release, which grossed over $758 million worldwide on a $180 million budget.
- Harris Dickinson took over the role of Prince Phillip from Brenton Thwaites due to scheduling conflicts with Titans (2018). As such, Thwaites missed the opportunity to work again with director Joachim Rønning, as they had previously cooperated on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017).
- First sequel to a live action reboot of a Disney animated feature film.
- Second film in the lineup of Disney remakes to star Chiwetel Ejiofor, after The Lion King (2019), released three months prior.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor and Angelina Jolie's second collaboration after Salt (2010).
- This is the first theatrically released live-action Disney sequel not released over a decade after its predecessor to recast one of the live-action cast members, which applies to Brenton Thwaites, as well as the third live-action Disney sequel of all time to do so, following the straight-to-video/DVD live-action films Inspector Gadget 2 (2003) with Matthew Broderick and George of the Jungle 2 (2003) with Brendan Fraser, Leslie Mann, and Holland Taylor.
- On March 6, 2019, Disney released the first teaser poster featuring Maleficent, along with a new release date for the film set for Friday, October 18, 2019. The film was originally scheduled to open seven months later on May 29, 2020.
- With the addition of this film, there is a grand total of 10 films released by Disney in 2019.
- Will be the fourth live-action adaptation releasing in 2019 from Disney, which is based from the studios' animated classics.
- Michelle Pfeiffer's fifth appearance in a movie sequel following Grease 2 (1982), Batman Returns (1992), Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018), and Avengers: Endgame (2019), and her third time playing a queen following A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999) and Stardust (2007).
- To be released on the 60th anniversary of the original Sleeping Beauty (1959).
- The title "Mistress of Evil" was used for some foreign language versions of the first Maleficent (2014) film, which may explain why many countries opted to use the film's alternative title, 'Maleficent 2', dropping the subtitle altogether.
- In the trailer, Maleficent's magic is green, which in the previous movie, was only the case if she was evil. While it could be editing to throw the audience off, it could indicate Maleficent has turned down a dark path.
- The film's cast includes one Oscar winner: Angelina Jolie; and four Oscar nominees: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Imelda Staunton, Lesley Manville, and Michelle Pfeiffer.
- Due to being released on the same day as Fox Searchlight Pictures' Jojo Rabbit, this marks the last time Disney theatrically releases both films on the same day. It is also the last time both a Disney film and a Fox film in general are theatrically released on the same day, due to conflicting schedule changes by Disney (which acquired 21st Century Fox, including 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures, back on March 20, 2019) and the fact that Disney will continue to release Disney films and Fox films on separate days from November 2019 onwards.
- This is the second sequel to a Disney live-action adaptation of an animated film after 102 Dalmatians (2000).
- This is the second sequel to a Disney live-action adaptation of an animated film not to have its music score composed by the same composer as its predecessor (James Newton Howard scored the previous film while Geoff Zanelli took over for this film) after 102 Dalmatians (2000) (which was scored by David Newman).
- The first film that Joachim Rønning has worked on without usual co-director Espen Sandberg.
- This is Angelina Jolie's first live-action movie role since By the Sea (2015).
- One of Michelle Pfeiffer's most well-known performances is as Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman Returns, Angelina Jolie's nickname for years has actually been 'Catwoman'.
- This is Disney's fourth film to be Specially Formatted for IMAX (1.90:1), since Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017), which was also directed by Joachim Rønning. Other Disney films that have been formatted for IMAX's expanded aspect ratio include Tomorrowland (2015) and Beauty and the Beast (2017).
- Michelle Pfeiffer and Elle Fanning had both previously appeared in I Am Sam (2001), 18 years earlier.
- With a runtime of 118 minutes (1 hour and 58 minutes), this film is 21 minutes longer than Maleficent (2014). Maleficent (2014), has a runtime of 97 minutes (1 hour and 37 minutes)
- Conall tells Maleficent "remember who you are", this is a line spoken by Mufasa in both the original Lion King and remake both Disney films.
- This is the fourth time that Michelle Pfeiffer played a villain. The first being Catwoman in Batman Returns, the second time being Velma Von Tussle in Hairspray and the third time being Lamia in Stardust.
- This is one of the last Disney films to include the 1967 MPAA logo in the end credits alongside Noelle (2019) and Lady and the Tramp (2019).
- Released in the same year as Dark Phoenix (2019), another film that also features dark phoenix in its plot.
- Maleficent's line, "What an awkward situation" was also said in the first movie, Maleficent (2014)