Trivia for Ma
Showing all 16 items
Jump to: Spoilers (2)
- Missi Pyle and Octavia Spencer both guest starred on the show Mom with Alison Janney, who plays the veterinarian.
- Tate Taylor directed Octavia Spencer (Ma) in her Oscar winning performance in The Help (2011).
- Tate Taylor previously directed Octavia Spencer and Allison Janney in The Help (2011)
- Obviously no one in this film has heard of the "block number" function on an iPhone. Otherwise she couldn't contact them again. Stupid
- Filmed in February 2018, but not released until 31 May 2019.
- In one scene, Erica mentions that she is having a John Hughes movie marathon. Juliette Lewis had a part in the Hughes-written National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989), where she played Audrey.
- The sequence involving Sue Ann noticing the porcelain cat statues had been moved, is a homage to a similar sequence in Misery (1990).
- The role of Sue Ann was originally written for a white actress. Tate Taylor modified the script to better suit an African-American woman after he showed the script to Octavia Spencer and she expressed interest in playing the role. The pair had previously collaborated on The Help (2011).
- Tate Taylor directed Luke Evans and Allison Janney in The Girl on the Train (2016).
- Octavia Spencer and Allison Janney previously co-starred in The Help (2011).
- Although not filmed in Ohio, there are several clues to indicate that the film takes place in NorthEast Ohio. First, all the local vehicles have Ohio license plates. Second, the prefix of the Hawkins Security number is 216, which is the area code for the greater Cleveland area. Third, a nuclear power plant is visible in the opening credits - The Perry Nuclear Plant is just 40 miles NorthEast of Cleveland. There are also several casinos in the Cleveland area.
- Octavia Spencer guest starred on the series Mom (2013) with Allison Janney (Dr. Brooks).
- The 3-legged dog that "Ma" walks in front of the liquor store is owned by a veterinarian that works at the clinic where all the interior vet clinic scenes were filmed.
- Diana Silvers lied about her height and said she was 5'8" to get the role of Maggie even though she is 5'10" and a half in real life.
- Body count: 5 (Mercedes, Doctor Brooks, Ben, Officer Grainger, and Sue Ann.)
- In the scene where Haley and Maggie are talking in the school parking lot. Haley has a black leather jacket with a flower on the right corner of the collar. Haley is wearing the exact same jacket that Roni (Lana Parrilla) wears in Once Upon a Time season 7.