Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Hugh Jackman
- Russell Crowe
- Anne Hathaway
- Amanda Seyfried
- Sacha Baron Cohen
- Helena Bonham Carter
- Eddie Redmayne
- Aaron Tveit
- Samantha Barks
- Daniel Huttlestone
Did You Know?
- Paul Bettany was considered for the role of Inspector Javert, before Russell Crowe was cast.
- Very near the end of the song "Stars," a shot from behind Javert shows he is facing Notre Dame and the moon is in the sky to his right. Although the moon is to his right and illuminates buildings in the background from that perspective, the light reflected off of Javert's forehead is coming from his left.
- Javert: Now Prisoner 24601, your time is up and your parole's begun. You know what that means?
- Jean Valjean: My name is Jean Valjean!
- Javert: And I'm Javert! Do not forget my name. Do not forget me, 24601.
- Jean Valjean: Yes, it means I'm free.
- Javert: No.
- [hands him a yellow paper]
- Javert: Follow to the letter your itinerary, this badge of shame you wear until you die. It warns that you're a dangerous man.
- Jean Valjean: I stole a loaf of bread. My sisters child was close to death, and we were starving...
- Javert: And you will starve again unless you learn the meaning of the law!
- Jean Valjean: I've learnt the meaning of those nineteen years; a slave of the law.
- Javert: Five years for what you did. The rest because you tried to run, yes 24601...
Atom User Reviews
Story of Grace put to music. Lovely
It's also a testament to the strength of Claude-Michel Schonberg's music that everything after the show-stopping lament of Fantine's I Dreamed a Dream doesn't come across as so much padding.
Even at a generous running time that matches this season's other giant award candidates, Les Misérables seems like it's in a hurry, skittering from one number to the next without interlude. After Hathaway's early high point, it starts to feel numbing, an unending barrage of musical emoting carrying us through Valjean's adopting of Cosette, the latter's first encounter with Marius, the battle at the barricade and a last hour that can feel like it's a non-stop series of death arias.
As the enduring success of this property has shown, there are large, emotionally susceptible segments of the population ready to swallow this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it's good.