It Happened One Night (1934)
- 1hr 45m
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimes
Atom User Reviews
Nothing can take away from the strength of Gable and Colbert's performances, the illusion of romance in their interaction, and Capra's deftness in crafting this kind of feel-good narrative. The screwball comedy elements work as effectively as the love story, which is a rarity for romantic comedies.
Even now, It Happened One Night carries the unmistakable tenor of a breakout hit, fueled by confidently zippy repartee and manic comic invention that almost none of the innumerable pretenders to the throne of romantic comedy can match.
A must see.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Clark Gable
- Claudette Colbert
- Walter Connolly
- Roscoe Karns
- Jameson Thomas
- Alan Hale
- Arthur Hoyt
- Blanche Friderici
- Charles C. Wilson
- Ernie Adams
Did You Know?
- [June 2008] Ranked #3 on the American Film Institute's list of the 10 greatest films in the genre "Romantic Comedy".
- When Peter is making breakfast for Ellen, as the table is first set, there are six doughnuts on the plate in the lower left corner of the screen, but when they sit and begin eating and discussing what there is to eat, there are only two.
- Ellie Andrews: Your ego is absolutely colossal.
- Peter Warne: Yeah, yeah, not bad, how's yours?
- [Shuts and locks the door]
- Ellie Andrews: You know, compared to you, my friend Shapeley's an amateur. Just whatever gave you any idea I'd stand for this?
- Peter Warne: Say now, wait a minute. Let's get this straightened out right now. If you're nursing any silly notion that I'm interested in you, forget it. You're just a headline to me.
- Ellie Andrews: A headline? You're not a newspaper man are you?
- Peter Warne: Chalk up one for your side.