Trivia for Honey Boy
Showing all 15 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- The movie was written by Shia Labeouf, and is apparently a semi-autobiography about him and his father's relationship. He will also play the role of his father in it.
- Although they'll be playing father and son, in real life, Shia LaBeouf is only 10 years older than Lucas Hedges.
- Premiered at Sundance Film Festival, 2019 in the Eccles Theatre in Park City, Utah.
- Premiered at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival to a standing ovation.
- Shia and Martin Starr worked together on Freaks and Geeks
- This is the second time Shia LaBeouf has played in a movie with the word 'honey' in the title.
- The opening shot of the first trailer has Lucas Hedges' character yelling "No, no, no, no!" several times, before getting launched in the air during an action sequence. This is a self-aware reference by Shia LaBeouf, who wrote the semi autobiographical script for the movie, as he has been known to yell the word "No" repeatedly often in movies, particularly during the Transformers films.
- Shia got his father to sign the rights agreement by telling him that Mel Gibson would be playing him in the movie. He knew Mel Gibson had already turned down the role, though Mel was supportive of Shia and the movie
- Shia hadn't spoken to his father for 7 years prior to making this movie
- Shia LaBeouf was arrested for public intoxication in July of 2017 in Savannah, Georgia. He was ordered to attend a 10 week rehab program, where he discovered that he had PTSD and began writing the screenplay for Honey Boy
- The movie was filmed in 19 days
- Filming for the movie started 2 weeks after Shia got out of rehab
- During filming, Lucas Hedges spent a lot of time in Shia's house. It ended up scaring Shia, who ended up moving into a hotel temporarily. After Shia left the house, Lucas moved in, and eventually Noah Jupe did also
- Shia's mother, Shayna, was on set everyday
- Shia's father really did work with a chicken like that as a rodeo clown. He was very concerned about the portrayal of the routine on screen, so Shia had to bond with a chicken to get it to perform the stunts with him that are seen in the movie (which are the same stunts his father was known for)