Trivia for Gotti
Showing all 17 items
- Shia LaBeouf, Channing Tatum, Dominic Cooper and James Franco were considered to play John Gotti Jr.
- Nick Cassavetes was originally hired to direct but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with Yellow (2012).
- Sylvester Stallone was in talks with John Gotti Jr. to star in the film.
- Joe Pesci was originally cast as Angelo Ruggiero. Pesci later filed a $3 million lawsuit against the producers claiming breach of contract. In the lawsuit, Pesci claims that after he gained 30 pounds for the role of the overweight Ruggiero, he was instead offered a different role. The suit was settled in 2013.
- Producers dropped Lindsay Lohan from the film, citing her management team's difficult demands. Lohan called producer Marc Fiore personally to convince him to let her keep her role.
- Real-life father and daughter John Travolta and Ella Bleu Travolta also play father and daughter in this movie. Kelly Preston, Travolta's real-life wife, is playing the wife of Gotti, Victoria.
- John Travolta wore many of John Gotti's accessories, such as ties, in this film.
- Many of John Travolta's personal cars appear in this film.
- John Travolta got the title role because the Gotti family personally asked for him.
- Gotti's children, Victoria Gotti and John Gotti Jr., were on set during most of the shoot as consultants. They provided the production with various family videos to help with the accuracy of their father's portrayal.
- The biopic took eight years to reach fruition, after several directors, cast changes, and script changes.
- Composer Pitbull was so impressed with the similarities between a photograph of John Travolta as John Gotti and the real Gotti that he asked if he could be involved with the score for the whole film.
- The film was originally set to be released in the United States on December 15, 2017. Lionsgate, the film's slated distributor, sold the film back to its producers and studio two weeks before, delaying the release.
- Although set in New York, principal shooting was in Cincinnati, OH.
- John Travolta has said that his eeriest experience in this film was wearing John Gotti's checkered tweed overcoat (in the opening and closing scenes) because he could still smell Gotti's cologne on the fabric.
- Actor Rhys Coiro and director Kevin Connolly have previously worked together on Entourage (2004). The majority of the fourth series centers around series protagonist Vincent Chase, an A-list movie star, trying to make the film "Medellín", his passion project about infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar, made. The strenuous behind the scenes drama culminates in a disastrous Cannes premiere, panning by critics, and a direct-to-video release in the United States. Gotti (2018) was a passion project for John Travolta for a good portion of the 2010s. The production was met with numerous dilemmas, culminating in a disastrous Cannes premiere, panning by critics, and a limited theatrical release. Over 40% of its opening weekend box office gross was due to MoviePass users.
- The building used to represent the New York Military Academy (15:06) is actually the National War College at Fort McNair, Washington DC.