Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Set your location to find movies & theaters nearby
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
Glory is a celebration of a little-known act of mass courage during the Civil War. Simply put, the heroes involved have been ignored by history due to racism. Those heroes were the all-black members of the 54th Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, headed by Col. Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick), the son of an influential abolitionist (played by an uncredited Jane Alexander). Despite the fact that the Civil War is ostensibly being fought on their behalf, the black soldiers are denied virtually every privilege and amenity that is matter of course for their white counterparts; as in armies past and future, they are given the most menial and demeaning of tasks. Still, none of the soldiers quit the regiment when given the chance. The unofficial leaders of the group are gravedigger John Rawlins (Morgan Freeman) and fugitive slave Trip (Denzel Washington), respectively representing the brains and heart of the organization. The 54th acquit themselves valiantly at Fort Wagner, SC, charging a fortification manned by some 1,000 Confederates. Glory was based on Lincoln Kirstein's Lay This Laurel and Peter Burchard's One Gallant Rush; the latter book was founded on the letters of Col. Robert Gould Shaw, the real-life character played by Matthew Broderick. The film won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for co-star Denzel Washington, and additional statuettes for Best Cinematography (Freddie Francis) and Sound Recording.~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
- Matthew Broderick
- Denzel Washington
- Cary Elwes
- Morgan Freeman
- Jihmi Kennedy
- Andre Braugher
- John Finn
- Donovan Leitch Jr.
- JD Cullum
- Alan North
Did You Know?
- Many of the first shots were taken from the 125th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1988. Up to 15,000 participants took part. The scenes filmed at the Gettysburg Reenactment were fused into the Battle of Antietam scene which was filmed in Mcdonough, Georgia. Some shots show the browner dry summer background of Pennsylvania in 1988, others show the greener spring background of Georgia in 1989.
- As Rawlins hands out the Enfield rifles, he calls out each one's serial number. Authentic Enfield rifles don't have serial numbers, but reproductions do.
- John Rawlins: Where about you from?
- Trip: I'm from around Tennessee. I ran away when I was 12 years old and I ain't never looked back.
- Sharts: What ya doin' since then?
- Trip: I run for President.
- Trip: I didn't win though.
Atom User Reviews
Glory is, without question, one of the best movies ever made about the American Civil War.
Glory is a strong and valuable film no matter whose eyes it is seen through.
Full Screen Image Viewer