Trivia for Fifty Shades Darker
Showing all 31 items
Jump to: Spoilers (3)
- Rumors circulated in early 2015 that Jamie Dornan had made a decision not to reprise his role as Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) sequels. However, those rumors were eventually debunked by his official rep who stated he was completely devoted to the franchise.
- Fans had expressed interest in actresses such as Kim Cattrall, Michelle Pfeiffer and Charlize Theron for the role of Elena Lincoln aka "Mrs. Robinson".
- In March of 2015, Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) director Sam Taylor-Johnson revealed she would not be returning for Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed (2018). As well, screenwriter Kelly Marcel also stated she would not be returning to the series.
- After receiving backlash that clean shaven Jamie Dornan wasn't sexy enough as Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), the producers decided that he could keep his stubble for the sequels.
- Screenwriter Niall Leonard is the husband of E.L. James, who wrote the book series it is based upon.
- Kim Basinger appeared with Dakota Johnson's father Don Johnson in the short-lived TV series From Here to Eternity (1980).
- Jamie Dornan's character Christian Grey is supposed to be in extraordinary physical shape in the film but Dornan revealed that they did not want to do a standard workout scene to show that, adding that just showing him lifting weights would be boring and they wanted to make the scene more interesting. So Dornan volunteered to do a gymnastics yoga pose for the film, something that he could already do in real life. The gymnastics pose consisted of balancing his entire body by just holding his wrists onto a pommel horse and holding his body straight with the feet up in the air and the head slanting down. As part of the promotion for the film, Dornan appeared on the late night talk show Conan and performed the feat live for the studio audience.
- The film shows Jamie Dornan's character Christian Grey as having a UFC poster on the wall in his room. Dornan noted that it was done on purpose to create a more masculine image for Grey. He said, "We wanted Christian to come across as tougher. I wanted him to be physically more imposing in this movie and to show that he could handle himself and that he could also be a bit rough. So the idea that he was into Ultimate Fighting made sense."
- Dakota Johnson revealed that for their pre-game ritual before filming sex scenes, she and Jamie Dornan would do different things. She said she would have a glass of whiskey and Dornan would do push-ups. Dornan said they also always had a private conversation among themselves to work out the scene between them, in addition to the director's instruction.
- Jamie Dornan revealed that he worked out very hard for his shirtless scenes and packed on more muscle for this film compared to the first film. Dornan said that for the first film, he was not very happy with his physique because he got cast just 5 weeks before filming, so he couldn't really achieve the physique he wanted for the character of Christian Grey. But for the sequels he said he had almost two years to prepare, so he could get into the shape he wanted and he definitely wanted to make the character more physically imposing compared to the first film and he was able to do that with the extra time.
- Jamie Dornan joked that he did not like doing too many scenes with co-star Eric Johnson who plays his romantic rival in the film because Johnson is "too tall" and doesn't make him look too good.
- Kim Basinger starred in 9½ Weeks (1986) which has some similar plot elements.
- Ana says "I expect you to call me Ana. I don't expect you to fetch me coffee unless you're getting some for yourself, and um, the rest we'll just make up as we go along." Melanie Griffith, Dakota Johnson's mother, said the same thing in Working Girl (1988).
- "Lover, You Should've Come Over" by Jeff Buckley is played during the movie, but is not featured on the soundtrack.
- In the trailer, it shows Ana and Christian shooting pool, but the scene is only present in the Unrated version of the film.
- When sailing, Ana and Christian use the low side helm on Christian's double helm sailboat. Some sailboats have two helms so the skipper can steer from the high side for better visibility and weight distribution.
- The dress Ana wears, to the art exhibit at the start of the movie, is the same dress she wears in Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) when she negotiates the contract with Christian.
- When Jack answers the phone after the NYC discussion with Ana, the person on the other line is "Eric" , which is the actor's real name, Eric Johnson.
- When they're getting dressed after making love, Ana says, "Is this your room?" Christian's answer is, "Once upon a Time." Jamie Dornan had a role in Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Tippi Hedren (Dakota Johnson's grandmother) and Kim Basinger have both played the love interest of Sean Connery: Hedren in Marnie (1964) and Basinger in Never Say Never Again (1983).
- Both Amy Price Francis and Eric Johnson who play Elizabeth and Jack Hyde respectively have appeared on the show Criminal Minds. Amy played an FBI agent while Eric played the brother of an FBI agent.
- Sam Taylor-Johnson, who directed the predecessor Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), refused to consider returning for the sequel. She cited frequent clashes with author E.L. James, who had received final approval on everything from the studio, as a source of much frustration. She was replaced by James Foley, who stated to have a "great relationship" with the author, and therefore returned for the second sequel Fifty Shades Freed (2018).
- The only Fifty Shades movie to not have an IMAX DMR release, since all of the IMAX theaters were already booked to screen The LEGO Batman Movie.
- Marcia Gay Harden's role in Meet Joe Black, had her hosting a glamorous party for her Father, played by Sir Anthony Hopkins, that included a stunning fireworks display for her guests. As Christian's mother in Fifty Shades Darker, she once again, hosts an elaborate party, that includes a beautiful fireworks display as well.
- The first song of the opening credits it is the cover of the song "The scientist" of Coldplay. In December of 2017, Dakota Johnson and the lead singer of Coldplay, Chris Martin announced the beginning of their relationship.
- This and Fifty Shades Freed (2018) are the third Universal Pictures sequels to be filmed back to back. The first were Back to the Future Parts II & III, both released in 1989 & 1990, and the second were Child's Play 2 & 3, both released in 1990 & 1991.
- Dakota Johnson and Stephan Miers were both raised in Malaga, Spain.
- In the scene, after Christians Chopper goes down. When they're all watching the news in Christians apartment. You see the author E.L James walking in the background behind the reporter.
- At the end, when Jack is visible during the fireworks scene, he puts out a cigarette in the Grey family picture, burning a hole through Christians face. Christian's chest is scarred because his mother's pimp burned him with cigarettes as a child.
- When Ana is talking to Hannah, her new assistant, after Ana takes over for Jack, she repeats the same lines her Mother, Melanie Griffith, said in Working Girl to her assistant, "You don't have to fetch me coffee, unless you're getting some for yourself. The rest we'll make up as we go along."
- The file on Leila shows her year of birth as 1962, which would make her 53 years old.