Fiddler on the Roof (1971) presented by TCM
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Norma Crane
- Leonard Frey
- Molly Picon
- Paul Mann
- Rosalind Harris
- Michele Marsh
- Neva Small
- Paul Michael Glaser
- Ray Lovelock
Did You Know?
- The first time this was shown on US TV it garnered 40 million viewers.
- During the first few shots of crowd holding candles on their way to the wedding, the sun changes positions above the horizon. (But as such indicates the length in time of the journey by foot, which could be intentional, in which case the slow melting of candles might be a goof in its own right).
- Tevye: As the good book says, when a poor man eats a chicken, one of them is sick.
- Mendel: Where does the book say that?
- Tevye: Well, it doesn't say that exactly, but somewhere there is something about a chicken.
Atom User Reviews
Fiddler on the Roof is not a perfect motion picture - it is too long and there are times when it's obvious that the musical numbers have been pre-recorded then lip-synched - but it represents an enjoyable three hours.
Would it be heresy on my part to suggest that Fiddler isn't much as a musical, and that director Norman Jewison has made as good a film as can be made from a story that is quite simply boring?