Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Set your location to find movies & theaters nearby
Hmm... we couldn't find any showtimes for this date and location.
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
Can an independent, contemporary woman find happiness with a guy who sells pickles? Isabelle Grossman (Amy Irving) is an attractive, intelligent Jewish woman in her early 30s. She has a good job and a nice apartment on the Upper West Side, and she values her independence; she often visits her grandmother Bubbie (Reiz Bozyk), who lives on the Lower East Side and wants Isabelle to meet a nice Jewish man and settle down. Bubbie goes so far as to obtain the services of Hannah Mandelbaum (Sylvia Miles), a matchmaker who finds the perfect man for Isabelle: a pickle salesman named Sam Posner (Peter Riegert). Isabelle thinks Sam is a nice enough guy, but she has a hard time imagining herself spending her life with the pickle man, and she isn't sure if she wants to pursue the relationship. However, Sam is taken with Isabelle and goes out of his way to change her mind. Crossing Delancy was directed by Joan Micklin Silver, whose breakthrough film Hester Street also examined Jewish culture on the Lower East Side, albeit from the vantage point of the 1890s.~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide
- Amy Irving
- Peter Riegert
- Reizl Bozyk
- Jeroen Krabbé
- Sylvia Miles
- George Martin
- John Bedford Lloyd
- Claudia Silver
- David Hyde Pierce
- Rosemary Harris
Did You Know?
- Suzzy Roche is also a singer in The Roches, the group that performs much of the background music.
- The synopsis of Anton's new book, visible when he signs an autograph, is clearly a summary of the story of this film (or the original play), mentioning Isabelle, her job, her grandmother, etc. If that was indeed the story of that book, Isabelle would have had some stern comments for Anton when she read it.
- Anton Maes: Hang on to this woman, Lionel. Loyalty like this doesn't walk through the door every day.
- Lionel: I guess you've noticed that Izzy has featured you in our window for the past three weeks. When is this much-publicized reading to take place?
- Isabelle 'Izzy' Grossman: On the 20th. I'm very loyal to neighborhood authors.
- Anton Maes: I'm very loyal to powerful women.
Atom User Reviews
Full Screen Image Viewer