Trivia for Crawl
Showing all 13 items
Jump to: Spoilers (3)
- This was the second creature feature by Alexandre Aja. He also directed Piranha 3D (2010).
- The two leads, Kaya Scodelario (Hayley) and Barry Pepper (Dave), also starred together in Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015) and Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018).
- The last name of the main protagonists is 'Keller', which is the German word for 'basement'. The largest part of the film takes place in a basement. However, it remains arguable whether this was intended by the film makers.
- There were no press screenings for this film.
- Out of all the movies that were released in 2019, Quentin Tarantino has selected this one as his favorite.
- This is the first horror film Sam Raimi produced in many years without his longtime producing partner Rob Tapert
- Early in the film, Dave's truck license plate says MATT 725, seen out the garage door during the hurricane. Matthew 7:25 in the Bible reads "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." (NIV)
- Kaya Scodelario's character is on the Gators swimming team, this film is about an alligator.
- While she is driving the camera shows a shark with a victim in his mouth, it's a nod to Jaws(1975)
- The siren that blares when the storm breaks is similar to the siren from the purge franchise.
- The burglars who rob the gas station are named Marv, Stan and Lee, which is a nod to Marvel creator Stan Lee. Coincidentally, Sam Raimi, who produced this film, directed three Spider-Man films.
- Body count: 5
- Action scenes draw heavily from Jurassic Park. The alligators are said to have vision based on movement, just like the T-Rex, so at different times the protagonists can escape detection by standing still. One main character has their arm bitten off. One main character is helped to safety whilst nursing a leg wound bound with a tourniquet. One scene shows main characters freezing in fear whilst pointing a torch straight in to the eye of the antagonist reptile. The alligators are shown to hunt in threes, with one distracting from the front whilst the other two swoop in from the sides, just like the velociraptors. The main action takes place during a hurricane.