Trivia for Brittany Runs A Marathon
Showing all 31 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Jillian Bell lost 40 pounds during the filming of the movie, just like her character does during the course of the film.
- The cast and crew actually got to film at the New York City Marathon, making this the first time a non-documentary film crew has been allowed to shoot there.
- While filming scenes at the marathon, many of the runners thought that Jillian Bell was really running and was being filmed as part of a documentary. Several times other runners stopped to help her during more difficult scenes; she didn't have the heart to explain she wasn't actually running the marathon.
- Jillian Bell worked with a marathon trainer to help her figure out how her running style would look and evolve throughout the film as she goes from a novice to an experienced runner training for a long distance run.
- Utkarsh Ambudkar and Alice Lee have both appeared on "The Mindy Project", though never in the same episode
- Jillian Bell and Michaela Watkins also costarred in "Sword of Trust" also released in 2019
- Jillian Bell, who plays 'Brittany,' is best known for her roles in "22 Jump Street" and the hit comedy series, "Workaholics."
- "Brittany Runs A Marathon" is inspired by the true story of Writer and Director Paul Downs Colaizzo's real-life friend and former roommate (also named Brittany) who began a similar journey toward better health in her late 20s.
- Writer and Director Paul Downs Colaizzo is a celebrated playwright known for his Off-Broadway plays "Really Really" and "Pride in the Falls of Autrey Mill."
- This movie was the directorial debut for Award-winning playwright Paul Downs Colaizzo.
- Michaela Watkins, who plays 'Catherine,' is best known for her roles in the TV series "Casual" and "Trophy Wife." She also plays Rob Delaney's sister in season 4 of the Prime Video series, "Catastrophe."
- Lil Rel Howery, who plays 'Demetrius,' is best known for his roles in the films "Get Out" and "Bird Box."
- Micah Stock, who plays 'Seth,' is a Tony Award-nominated actor known most recently for his TV roles in "Escape at Dannemora" and "Bonding."
- After seeing the film, the real-life Brittany O'Neill says she felt bonded to actress Jillian Bell forever. "Watching her performance, I felt like she'd genuinely experienced all of the emotions I had. She's a great actress and she nailed it."
- Utkarsh Ambudkar, who plays 'Jern,' is best known for his roles in "Pitch Perfect" and "The Mindy Project."
- Although Jillian Bell (Brittany) had seen a video of the real-life Brittany O'Neill, the actress says she purposely didn't meet the woman her character was based on until O'Neill visited the set when shooting had begun.
- To play the role of 'Brittany' in all of her various stages of weight loss, actress Jillian Bell spent up to four hours each day applying her character's makeup and prosthetics.
- Jillian Bell's character 'Brittany' has more than 50 wardrobe changes throughout the film, each planned to accommodate the padding the actress wore to simulate her character's weight loss.
- At the onset of shooting, Micah Stock (Seth) had trouble keeping a straight face acting opposite of Jillian Bell. "She's insanely funny. The first day I thought I would be fired because I couldn't get through three lines of dialogue without laughing. Her positivity infects everyone around her."
- Writer and Director Paul Downs Colaizzo has said that if there is a character in this film that is in any way based on him, it would be 'Seth.'
- For the film's early scenes, before 'Brittany' embarks on her fitness regimen, Colaizzo and Berman used old photographs of Bell to develop a look that evolves as Brittany undergoes her transformation. Customized bodysuits and padding in multiple sizes and shapes were fabricated and used in various combinations at different points in the film.
- "Brittany Runs a Marathon" was the recipient of the 2019 Sundance Film Festival 'Audience Award.'
- Lil Rel Howery (Demetrius) was the recipient of 'Best Comedic Performance in a Movie' at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, he's been nominated for an NAACP Image Award for 'Outstanding Supporting Actor,' and was also crowned 'Bernie Mac Comedy King of the Year.'
- Jillian Bell was a writer on the 35th season of 'Saturday Night Live' (2009-10).
- "Brittany Runs a Marathon" is the first feature film ever to shoot during the iconic New York City Marathon, which is run every year on the first Sunday in November.
- Tobey Maguire first met the film's writer and director, Paul Downs Colaizzo, after catching a performance of Colaizzo's play, "Really Really." Impressed by what he saw, Maguire met with Colaizzo to discuss possible future film projects. One of the ideas discussed - "Brittany Runs A Marathon."
- While filming part of the marathon sequence in which 'Brittany' struggles through the race, Jillian Bell's performance was so dialed-in that neighboring runners, who didn't know she was acting, rallied around her to help her keep going.
- A week after shooting the actual New York City Marathon, the filmmakers re-created the race in miniature on a block in Brooklyn to capture additional shots, including Brittany's feet coming across the finish line.
- Amazon paid out $14 million for the rights to the film.
- Jillian Bell used the Couch to 5k app to help her get fit enough to go long-distance running. She now runs regularly.
- Writer-director Paul Downs Colaizzo wrote the script not long after his best friend Brittany completed her first run, and correctly predicted several things, including that she would successfully complete a marathon, and that she would hurt her leg.