Trivia for Booksmart
Showing all 12 items
- Legendary DJ/producer Dan the Automator (Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modelling School, Deltron 3030, Kool Keith, Got a Girl, Crudo) composed the score.
- The movie premiered at SXSW on Olivia Wilde's 35th birthday.
- Eline Powell auditioned for the role of "Triple A"
- Jacob Elordi auditioned for the role of Jared but casting chose Skyler Gisondo
- Caylee Cowan auditioned for the role of "Triple A"
- Olivia Wilde said that The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Dazed and Confused, and Clueless were the inspiration for this film.
- Beanie Feldstein initially read the script for another role that was eventually written out. When Olivia Wilde was brought on to direct, she wanted Beanie for the lead role of Molly.
- Directorial debut of Olivia Wilde.
- The script was written back in 2009.
- Screenwriter Katie Silberman said that Billie Lourd did such an impressive performance that extra scenes were written specifically for her.
- In a May 2019 Vanity Fair interview, director Olivia Wilde described Booksmart as "the Training Day of high school movies."
- In a May 24, 2019, interview on National Public Radio's program "All Things Considered," director Olivia Wilde explained the word "Malala" as it is used by the two best friends Amy and Molly as an inside reference between them: "'Malala' is their code word for unconditional support. So what 'malala' means is that what I'm asking you to do now with me you must do....Malala [Yousafzai, the Pakistani advocate for girls' education and the youngest-ever Nobel laureate] is one of their great role models. And I think that's why she holds the most significant place in their friendship, the idea that if you call 'Malala,' you must really mean it."