Better Off Dead
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- John Cusack
- David Ogden Stiers
- Kim Darby
- Demian Slade
- Scooter Stevens
- Diane Franklin
- Laura Waterbury
- Dan Schneider
- Yuji Okumoto
- Brian Imada
Did You Know?
- [44:25]When Beth (Amanda Wyss) shows up at the high school dance, the person standing behind her is wearing Freddy Krueger's sweater. Wyss played Krueger's first victim in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). A similar scene from Eek! The Cat (executive produced by Savage Steve Holland) during Season Five featured Eek wearing the exact same sweater when his nemesis Sharky has been experiencing nightmares.
- In the scene in the lunchroom, when Lane decides to ask out the cheerleader, his drawing of Beth shows the cheerleader's name as Chris Cremmins, but in the credits she is listed as Chris Cummins.
- Monique Junot: I figured if we had nothing to say to each other he would get bored; go away. But instead he uses it as an excuse to put his testicles all over me.
- Lane Myer: Excuse me?
- Monique Junot: You know, like octopus? Testicles?
- Lane Myer: Ohhhh. Tentacles. N-T. Tentacles; big Difference.
Atom User Reviews
Better Off Dead has the body of a tired teen comedy but the soul of an inspired student film; it's the first movie in a long time to interrupt itself periodically with flights of animated fancy. At one point, romantic foreshadowing is accomplished by a clay-mation sequence featuring cheeseburgers in love. At another, a lovesick teen draws a cartoon picture of his faithless girlfriend, and the drawing tells him to get lost. [17 Oct 1985, p.B6]
Better Off Dead, a seemingly teenage comedy that wasn't good enough to be released during the prime summer play dates, is utterly devoid of appeal. [15 Oct 1985, p.C2]