Trivia for Bad Boys For Life
Showing all 31 items
Jump to: Spoilers (6)
- This will be the first Bad Boys film not to be directed by Michael Bay. However, he has a cameo in the film as the wedding master of ceremonies who announces Mike Lowry's speech. Bay directed the scene himself, which is filmed with his signature 360 degree shot.
- Martin Lawrence first announced the film in 2013, in an interview with Conan O'Brien.
- Joe Carnahan dropped out of directing Bad Boys for Life (2020) due to the delays, making this the second 'threequel' that he pulled out of after Mission: Impossible III (2006). For this film, he retains a story and screenplay credit, though.
- This movie is scheduled to come out 'roughly' 17 years after the previous sequel.
- On October 31st 2018, Martin Lawrence tweeted a picture of himself and Will Smith on the set of Bad Boys III (Bad Boys for Life) with the caption "Bad Boys for life", confirming once and for all that production is finally underway after years of delays.
- Will Smith released a video on his Facebook page alongside Martin Lawrence saying that Bad Boys 3 is officially going into production.
- This will be the first Bad Boys movie to be filmed In Panavision (anamorphic) with Sony CineAlta Venice 6K digital cameras, and the first film in the series to be shot digitally, unlike the first two, which were filmed on 35mm film, in the standard spherical format and the Super 35 format. It's also the second Bad Boys movie to be filmed in the widescreen 2.39:1 "scope" aspect ratio.
- Despite both actors receiving top billing, this is the first film in the series where Will Smith is billed first & Martin Lawrence is billed second.
- Jasmine Lawrence, Martin Lawrence's daughter, cameos as one of the two girls that don't let Marcus and Mike into a club.
- Only movie in the series where Mike Lowrey does not say "from now on, thats how you.." to Marcus Burnett.
- Theresa Randle's first acting role in 10 years since Shit Year (2010).
- In the background of Marcus living room, there is a framed #3 Dwyane Wade Miami Heat jersey. Gabrielle Union, co-star in Bad Boys II (2003), is married to Dwyane Wade.
- Coinciding with the 25th anniversary of the first film, Bad Boys (1995).
- The contact photo Mike has from Marcus on his cell phone is taken from the Bad Boys II (2003) poster.
- Kate del Castillo and Paola Nuñez both starred on the TV show "La Reina del Sur: regresa" (2019)
- This marks Nicky Jam's second appearance in a Hollywood film, with his first being in xXx: Return of Xander Cage (2017). Both films' respective soundtracks have a song from him.
- This is the second Bad Boys movie where the director (Adil El Arbi) makes a cameo as a man who is asked to leave his vehicle by either Lowry or Burnett: in Bad Boys II (2003), this happened to director Michael Bay. The difference is that Bay kept his car, while El Arbi is pulled out of it.
- At one point in the film, Will Smith's character jokingly refers to AMMO, the sidekick crew, as a "High School Musical boy band." Vanessa Hudgens (Kelly) rose to fame from playing Gabriella Montez in the High School Musical films.
- In Bad Boys (1995), Detectives Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey presumably held the ranks of Detective Sergeants. Burnett holds his badge up in the film and it reads "Detective Sergeant." Subsequently, in Bad Boys II (2003) , they were promoted to "Detective Lieutenants" as their badges read that rank when they are shown. However, in Bad Boys for Life, they are both merely ranked as first-grade Detectives, which are lower ranked than Lieutenants.
- Directors Bilall Fallah and Adil El Arbi made their Hollywood debut with this movie on the strength of their Belgian films Black (2015) and Gangsta (2018). They stated in interviews that this came with some pressure, since their agents had made it very clear to them that if the movie wasn't successful, it would most likely be the end of their Hollywood career. However, they loved making the film and cherished the opportunity to work with their idols Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.
- Directors Bilall Fallah and Adil El Arbi requested to be credited as "Adil & Bilall", as they had been on their previous films Black (2015) and Gangsta (2018). This was only allowed if they would promise to keep making movies as a duo.
- The nightclub the birthday party takes place is called Zillion, a reference to iconic Antwerp (Belgium) discotheque Zillion. Adil & Bilill's previous film Patser takes place in Antwerp.
- The home where Mike lives in and has a conversation with Rita was really filmed at The Bentley Bay Condominiums. It's located at 520-540 West Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139
- Right before the montage you see Miami Beach at night from the air. The footage is played in reverse because you can see a boat come around the shore mid screen and travel towards the bridge but it travels into its wake instead of the wake following behind like a normal boat.
- Zillion is also a (in)famous club (1997-2002) in Antwerp, home of the directors Adil & Bilal.
- Mike Lowrey, Marcus Burnett, Theresa Burnett, Captain Howard, Megan Burnett, and Reggie are the only returning characters from the previous film.
- There are some notable touches that respect Michael Bay's original cinematography. The rising 360 degree shot after the roof fight is reminiscent of the near-miss with the cab in Bad Boys (1995), and the undertow shot of the airplane flying over the Miami sign is also among them.
- This is the first in the series where a character who appeared in the previous films dies.
- In Bad Boys II (2003), when Marcus and Mike first meet 15-year-old Reggie, they suspect him of looking like 30. When Reggie appears in this film, he is now in his early 30s.
- Will Smith and DJ Khaled also starred in the animated movie, Spies in Disguise (2019).
- This is the second time Will Smith acted as a clueless father facing his own lethal "descendant", after Gemini Man (2019).