Trivia for American Assassin
Showing all 19 items
Jump to: Spoilers (3)
- The lead role was offered to Chris Hemsworth, but he passed on the role, due to scheduling issues. Then, it came up that the producers invited Gustavo Goulart to perform the lead role (Mitch Rapp), but this rumor was never confirmed.
- Bruce Willis was attached to play Stan Hurley, the mentor of Mitch Rapp.
- American Assassin is the 11th book in Vince Flynn's series, but the first book in chronological order.
- CBS Films also bought the movie rights to "Consent to Kill", the eighth book in chronological order of the Mitch Rapp universe.
- Established actors Gerard Butler, Colin Farrell, and Matthew Fox were considered for the role of Mitch Rapp.
- Dylan O'Brien won the part of Mitch Rapp, beating more established older actors. Being in his mid 20s, the hope is that the actor grows as the envisioned movie franchise progresses. Also, since this movie is based on a prequel novel, it provides the opportunity to start at the beginning of Rapp's career.
- Principal photography began in London, Rome, and Budapest in September 2016.
- Antoine Fuqua was originally attached to direct.
- Jeffrey Nachmanoff and Edward Zwick were also attached as director when the movie was in the pre-production stage back in 2012.
- Film production needed to start by 2016 or the rights to the film would be reverted to the Vince Flynn Estate.
- A first look picture of Dylan O'Brien as Mitch Rapp was released on September 12, 2016.
- "American Assassin" is one of fifteen novels by Vince Flynn set in the world of counterterrorism operative Mitch Rapp. Every book has been a New York Times best-seller, the three most recent entries have been number one New York Times best-sellers, and the series has sold nearly twenty million copies as of October 2015.
- Dylan O'Brien's first leading role in a movie, after sustaining serious injuries during production of Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018).
- Veteran stuntman and martial arts world champion Buster Reeves (Instructor) and Michael Keaton (Stan Hurley) share the Batman mantle. Reeves doubled for Christian Bale and performed Batman's stunt fighting in The Dark Knight trilogy, and Keaton played the Caped Crusader in Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992).
- Includes three actors and one actress from several Marvel franchises. Sanaa Lathan played Vanessa in Blade (1998), Scott Adkins played Lucian in Doctor Strange (2016), Michael Keaton played Adrian Toomes (The Vulture) in Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), and Taylor Kitsch played Remy LeBeau (Gambit) in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009).
- The USS Flynn was named after author Vince Flynn who wrote the Mitch Rapp series.
- In the books, Mitch Rapp's girlfriend was killed in the Pan Am flight that was blown up by a terrorist over Lockerbie, Scotland. The movie seems to show her dying on the beach.
- The Navy ship near the end of the movie is called the U.S.S. Flynn. It is a fictitious name, as the Navy does not have a vessel with this name. However, it is named after Vince Flynn, the late author of the Mitch Rapp series.
- When the last water flushes away from the carrier deck after the explosion, there is a F-35 in the center of the screen. This plane has grey-scale roundels of the Royal Netherlands Air Force on the side of the fuselage. In fact, the RNLAF does have F-35s, they are not equipped to land on or take-off from aircraft carriers. Unless they hoisted the plane on deck, it's impossible for the plane to be there.