Trivia for Ad Astra
Showing all 12 items
- The first collaboration between Brad Pitt and James Gray. They planned to work together on The Lost City of Z (2016), but Pitt dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. He remained on board as an executive producer.
- Brad Pitt and Ruth Negga previously co-starred in World War Z (2013).
- The film reunites Donald Sutherland, Tommy Lee Jones and Loren Dean who previously appeared in Space Cowboys (2000).
- First 20th Century Fox film to be released by Disney since the acquisition of 2017.
- Brad Pitt and James Gray originally planned to collaborate on adapting Mark Greaney's novel "The Gray Man", but Pitt later dropped out and the project never finalized. This marks the third time they plan to work together (second time on The Lost City of Z (2016), and the first time they really do as director and actor.
- The title means "to the stars" in Latin. It is often used as a shorthand for "Ad Astra per Aspera" (To the stars through difficulties).
- James Gray's Sci-Fi epic will feature the Moon that has newspaper outlets, a TV show called "Moon's Got Talent!", and Somali-type Pirates.
- James Gray has said in a recent interview that his upcoming Sci-Fi epic is heavily influenced by Apocalypse Now (1979) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).
- Director James Gray has said it will feature "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie." He's also described it as "Sorta like, if you got 'Apocalypse Now' and '2001' in a giant mash-up and you put a little [Joseph] Conrad in there."
- It was scheduled for release on May 24, 2019, but the premiere showing at the Cannes film fest was canceled and there are rumors that the opening may be delayed due to the Fox-Disney merger.
- Brad Pitt and Liv Tyler have both worked with Bruce Willis.
- Jamie Kennedy filmed a scene for this film that got cut out due to the Disney-Fox merge and its release being pushed to September.