Trivia for A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood
Showing all 17 items
Jump to: Spoilers (1)
- Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris were attached to direct the movie.
- Tom Hanks and his son, Colin Hanks, have both played Fred Rogers. Tom Hanks in this film, and Colin Hanks in Drunk History (2013)
- Tom Hanks's son Colin Hanks previously played Fred Rogers in Underdogs (2018).
- Emmy Award winner Jim Emswiller fell from a balcony around 7.30pm on October 12, 2018 during a break in filming in Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania, authorities say. The 61-year-old Pittsburgh man died later at a hospital. Emswiller was involved in the sound production of the film. Mount Lebanon police say Emswiller fell over a brick wall on the balcony at an apartment building.
- According to producers, and contrary to early belief, the film is not a biopic of Fred Rogers. Rather the film centers around journalist Tom Junod and his experience interviewing Rogers, and the impact it had on him.
- On Friday, January 25, 2019, Sony Pictures announced that they would be pushing the film's release date back from October 18, 2019 to November 22, 2019.
- In a scene in the feature film The 'Burbs (1989), Tom Hanks's character Ray Peterson is watching a television episode of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (1968). Thirty years later, Tom Hanks would go on to portray Fred Rogers in this feature film.
- Fred Rogers' widow, Joanne Rogers, has stated that Tom Hanks is the perfect actor to play her late husband.
- Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys previously starred together in The Post (2017).
- Marielle Heller is longtime friends with Tom Hanks' son Colin, and met the former at a birthday party in which she pitched him the project. Heller claimed that access was fortunate because Hanks had put out the word through his agency that he wanted a break from playing real-life people and to not send him those scripts.
- This is the 8th film where Tom Hanks has portrayed an actual person from real life.
- The title of the film (A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood) indicates that someone involved in the story may have been one of many people to suffer from what's been referred to as The Mandela Effect in which a person remembers a pop culture reference differently from how it actually occurred. The effect has caused people to believe that there is an alternate reality in which these things were the way they remember. As the trailer shows for the film, as Mister Rogers (Tom Hanks) enters the set on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood he sings, " It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood..." but a lot of people recall the words to the song being "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood..." which would give indication that either someone in the film either doesn't know the lyrics to the song or they remember it differently (as those who suffer from The Mandela Effect have been known to do).
- During the TIFF post-film panel, Tom Hanks mentions how he wishes he and his son (Colin) at 3 years old watched a half hour of Mr. Rogers a week so he could learn that it is okay to be sad. Hanks feels children don't learn the importance of expressing emotions from a young age and Mr. Rogers did an excellent job explaining this
- The writers said the film took so long to be made because they worked with the estate tirelessly to ensure the accuracy of the film. They were given access to the archives to ensure it was "right". "Once we found Mari it happened" they mentioned, feeling she was the final piece of the puzzle
- Tom Hanks revealed he first heard about the film 10 years ago and read the script 8 years ago
- Tom Hanks's son, Colin Hanks, played Mr Rogers in a segment for the comedy series Underdogs (2018), dramatizing the time Rogers spoke before a Senate Committe to defend federal funding for PBS.
- Many archival footage of Mr. Rogers on famous talk shows had been edited with swapping in Tom Hanks instead. This also occurred in Forrest Gump (1994) with adding Gump to specific historical scenes